Windows 7

Everything not anime or media related

Moderator: CastorTroy81

LeeDless
Mumbo Jumbo
AC Username: LeeDless

Windows 7

#46 Post by LeeDless » Fri May 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Is Vista up to SP3 now then? I'm using the Home Professional Edition on my new computer but it only has SP1 and I haven't seen any newer ones on Windows Update.
ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~

CastorTroy81
Project's Bitch
AC Username: gpatton81

Windows 7

#47 Post by CastorTroy81 » Fri May 01, 2009 3:43 pm

I didn't know what it was at so just went a bit high. :D
Ebenezer Scrooge was a weak minded lightweight.
He broke after only a few hours of brainwashing!!!

BT
Mew Mew's apprentice
AC Username: BT

Windows 7

#48 Post by BT » Fri May 01, 2009 4:09 pm

XP is up to SP3, Vista SP1.

BT

kodama
Project's Bitch

Windows 7

#49 Post by kodama » Fri May 01, 2009 5:13 pm

Vista SP 2 has just gone on limited release, so expect it for the public soon.

They've just released Office 2007 SP2 and that looks like it might actually be useful.

LeeDless
Mumbo Jumbo
AC Username: LeeDless

Windows 7

#50 Post by LeeDless » Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Alrighty then.
I'm liking Vista so far, though I normally have to restart due to a bug or crash at least once per day. I'm sure they get it working properly eventually (or is Windows 7 just an admission that they've given up?).
ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~

kodama
Project's Bitch

Windows 7

#51 Post by kodama » Fri May 01, 2009 5:28 pm

As I said earlier in the thread, 7 is what Vista should have been on it's release.

They've taken out a lot of the bugs and even made it faster. I ran the beta on a PC that couldn't run Vista in a million years. It may even be more secure too. Maybe :shifty:

As for Vista, they're release 1 or 2 more SPs then try and shift everyone onto 7.

BT
Mew Mew's apprentice

Windows 7

#52 Post by BT » Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 pm

I would use XP on this machine if I could. But XP doesn't support Quad SLI, can't take more than ~3GB and doesn't support all the features of the sound card I installed (I was also told it doesn't fully support Quad CPUs, but I'm not sure if that's true). There's loads of other little features that XP doesn't support as well. However once 7 is launched I'll be swapping on to that.

The performance hit when using Vista over XP is very noticeable in all my games however (even with better hardware). So I hope 7 will remain as the in-between ground. At least the beta was looking that way when I was trying it.

The only really good thing about Vista for me is when a game freezes you hit ctrl+alt+del and you get a screen to launch taskmanager. This means you don't need to hit the hard reset button. Normally under XP if this happens you need to pray the task manager will "spawn" on top of your crashed game. Also being able to alter partitions in Vista is a lot easier than XP.

BT

kodama
Project's Bitch

Windows 7

#53 Post by kodama » Fri May 01, 2009 6:20 pm

If you need to alter partitions easily, just add a linux install and it'll take seconds ;)

As for hardware compatibility, that's what you get for playing with bleeding edge stuff.

BT
Mew Mew's apprentice

Windows 7

#54 Post by BT » Tue May 05, 2009 11:22 pm

Got my Windows 7 RC today. The 64 bit one is ~3GB, 32 bit will probably be slightly less.

No problems on install. Now it's just the usual stuff like driver updates, anti-virus etc.

My only complaint so far (after 5 mins of using) is the Control Panel has been made "User Friendly", and it doing so a nightmare to navigate. I liked CP the way it was thank you. Nice and complex and univiting to users. Now it's like "anyone can fuck up their machine, and we'll help you do it with pretty pictures". :x

BT

kodama
Project's Bitch

Windows 7

#55 Post by kodama » Wed May 06, 2009 10:37 am

2.36GB for 32 bit version.

I've been clicking the "complicate" the control panel option since XP. :geek:

Mind you I still use the command prompt a lot :ugeek:

BT
Mew Mew's apprentice

Windows 7

#56 Post by BT » Wed May 06, 2009 11:17 am

They have removed or hidden the "complicate" button for the control panel. :(

Just a small warning, anything that was made for the beta is unlikely to run on the RC. You need to get a special version of AVG (if that's what you use) for the RC. There's also less hardware support. There's nothing for my sound card atm, and I had to force Vista drivers to get my wireless "dongle" working. I can't find a 64 bit firewall that will work, so I'm going to wait a bit before continuing to play.

(One nice thing though is you can use the special AVG trails' root kit scanner on other partitions, so I took advantage of this by doing a rootkit scan for free)

BT

kodama
Project's Bitch

Windows 7

#57 Post by kodama » Wed May 06, 2009 12:48 pm

Typical, anything to complicate life.

I never used the Beta full time, so that won't be an issue.

Unless you spend a lot of time on sites that are very dodgey, I wouldn't worry so much about the firewall, you have MS firewall (better than nothing) and the router one working to give you some protection. Smart browsing is far better protection than any number of shiny bits of software. I've seen a fair few PCs infested despite being "protected" by Norton, McAfee and others. Damn kids and their love of free stuff.

kodama
Project's Bitch

Windows 7

#58 Post by kodama » Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 pm

BT wrote:My only complaint so far (after 5 mins of using) is the Control Panel has been made "User Friendly", and it doing so a nightmare to navigate. I liked CP the way it was thank you. Nice and complex and univiting to users. Now it's like "anyone can fuck up their machine, and we'll help you do it with pretty pictures".

Having installed it, I can tell you that there is an easy fix for that.

Select "View by: Big Icons" >.<

It's that easy.

BT
Mew Mew's apprentice

Windows 7

#59 Post by BT » Thu May 07, 2009 7:57 pm

"Big icons" must be complex things :lol: . Intuitive design - nope; user friendly mess - yep. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a bug/still under development.

I'll give it a go next time I boot to 7.

BT

kodama
Project's Bitch

Windows 7

#60 Post by kodama » Thu May 07, 2009 8:00 pm

It's not entirely intuitive but I guess it's one less thing to go wrong.

Argh, no drivers for my soundcard. I can't even find XP/2000 ones at the moment. Bloody dell special.