Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Windows 7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:55 pm 
Project's Bitch

Oh right, I'd been talking about it on another forum. >.<

Well, apart from IE8 grinding to a halt when viewing the TAN forum leading to me swapping to Opera and the fact that it still has the deleting files bug. It's not bad, I wouldn't even try and run Vista on my home PC (2600+ XP Athlon and 1GB RAM) whereas 7 is just a tad slower than XP. I guess with tuning, it could be around the same speed. It did nearly grind to halt installing AVG though and I haven't got Office installed which I imagine would need a modern PC to run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:58 pm 
Project's Bitch

The deleteing files bug? That the one where it has a habit of telling you the file is in use even though it isn't?

So with a bit of fine tuning it could be a tolerable OS?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:52 pm 
Project's Bitch

No, the one where it takes longer to calculate the time to delete the file than actually delete the file. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:50 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

When you installed Windows 7 what type of connection did your HDD use? Was it SATA or IDE or something else?

I remember when I was installing Vista on this machine using the SATA connection that I needed to preload drivers in order to install Vista on the HDD. At the momment I've got the HDD set-up as AHCI. I'm hoping I won't need to do this, since hunting out Windows 7 drivers could be a problem.

BT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:16 pm 
Project's Bitch

IDE :D

You can try 2000/XP/Vista drivers. When I discovered that I hadn't got any sort of network connection, I had to plug in a wifi dongle to get connected and download everything I needed. I'm not saying it would be good for long term stability, but it worked as a quick and dirty fix.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:00 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Yay, got a 2nd HDD and installed the beta. It was a lot easier to install than Vista. There was no crying about missing SATA drivers, no crashes half way through, no "4GB RAM is not allowed".

So far I've been installing all the usual security software and getting drivers. No problems, and only 1 BSoD so far.

More to report soon. :ches:

BT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:36 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Yeah the installation might have been easy, but the destruction afterwards has been a real pain.

I opted for dual boot; beta 7 on one SATA drive and Vista on the other. Vista detects both drives fine - Beta 7 doesn't. Sometimes my system is getting stuck at the POST, and then randomly decides to start booting again. I also had power failure a few times, but I think it's because I overloaded the MOLEX with 3 devices (2 HDD, 1 Blu-Ray drive).

Well today I was playing a game on Vista, it Blue Screened - nothing new. It tried to reboot, and then gets stuck. Strange noises emit from inside the computer case and it gets locked in a power on/off cycle before eventually splashing out a "You CPU has killed itself, please recover BIOS". So I'm left with all my old BIOS options to attempt a recovery.

After fixing them I head back in to Vista to find out what carnage has ensued. I'm expecting to find my HDD wiped, but it boots. Except for some reason ALL my drivers have been reset to "Windows will pick them for you" (even though they're years out of date). At least all my data and applications are still there, it's just a case of reinstalling every single driver.

Anyway, yeah Windows 7. It's just Vista with less "junk" and more annoying features. IE 8 has to be one of the most frustrating browsers to use ever. It crashes constantly, it keeps trying to redirect me to places I don't want to go, it keeps adding new "shortcuts" that I don't want. And then with the new taskbar at the bottom, closing tabs and windows becomes even more frustrating. Opera works fine at least, so I'm using that.

There's no support for Quad SLI yet, so I'm sitting on a single card that won't let me update the drivers. I think a card might have fried from the BIO recovery, since both Vista and beta 7 are giving similar messages. Or there's some other crazy voodoo going on in the system.

There's no official support for creative sound cards, but I managed to force some Vista ones onto the OS. So far it's not caused a crash, but then I've not tried to make it crash :P . My mouse isn't supported yet either, so I need to keep changing the senstivity on each boot.

Comodo firewall works if you run it in Vista compatibility mode, but I've heard removing it is a nightmare. Which is fine for me since I'll be formatting before 1st Aug anyway. It still stealths all the ports, so the firewall is working fine. No problems getting AVG to install, or Spybot; although I had to reboot to get the TeaTimer to begin working.

Any nice features in Beta 7 I like? No. I hate this new taskbar, not being able to see my currectly open windows is bad. The new "drag to the side and get half a window" feature is pathetic, resizing windows it not hard. All these new "make moving windows easier" features are annoying to use, they don't make life any easier. What is the point of the "Show desktop" thing, if I need to see my desktop I'll minimize a window thanks.

There are some good points, like the "Vista hangover" seems to have been cured. And DirectX 11 will be available (even though 10 still doesn't work!). Drivers are easy to install I guess, although I still can't get this "SM Bus Controller" to install a driver - probably unsupported hardware again. The hard disk doesn't get trashed as much as Vista thrashes HDD, so there's less "clicking".

So is there any point in getting Windows 7 when it comes out? In it's current state, if you're running XP still then the answer is "no". If you're running Vista, then yes, but be prepared for an equally annoying experience.

Oh I can now declare my machine "Unstable" again, great fun :mud:

BT (no spell checker yet, so sorry for spelling errors etc)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:45 pm 
Project's Bitch

Yeah about dual booting.

I thought about it then thought, f**k that! So if I want to swap between them I just plug the other HDD in.

I do have Windows and Linux dual booting though, so I thought it would just mangle the lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:43 pm 
Project's Bitch

To sound more geeky than usual, I was reading a Marvel comic (Mighty Avengers, I think) yesterday and they made a joke at the expense of Vista. When an alien computer exploded, the reason someone suggested was "It may have been a virus, or Vista. I hear it's caused a few problems."

So then I realised finding a computer joke in a comic was a wee bit geeky. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 pm 
Project's Bitch

I would take the p*ss something wicked, but frankly I was the 1st to install Windows 7 and I like anime at the age thirty something, so I haven't got a leg to stand on. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 pm 
Project's Bitch

Kodama, you forgot to add that you admin an anime based forum too :)

As for me, my idea of a good evening is to setup secure SMTP servers and watch anime. I have even less of a leg to stand on!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:27 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8026736.stm

Yay another test release. 5th of May for the Public, but anyone who really wants it I'm sure they can find a way to get it early :wink: .

I'll be scrubbing my current partition in preparation for this. I'm also going to take a look at Ubuntu, since when I've been going for summer placement interviews they always ask "Have you used any other OS?". But this will have to wait until after my last exam this Monday.

BT

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:38 pm 
Project's Bitch

They're probably aiming for a pre-Xmas release.

As even MS are saying privately 7 is what Vista should have been or maybe you could just call it Vista.5 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:44 pm 
Project's Bitch

Or Vista SP4

Was wondering when this was due out. I'm thinking of upgrading the laptop but wanted to wait until Windows 7 was standard.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:50 pm 
Project's Bitch

Aim for June 2010. You've always got to allow 6 months for the 1st batch of patches and maybe even an SP. >.<

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next