Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 7
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:11 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Likewise for me. The only thing working for me out the box is graphics card; although not in SLI or with any features enabled. Everything else I've had to force vista drivers where possible. But it doesn't allow that for everything (ie sound card). This version seems to have a lot more constraints than the beta.

BT

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:42 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I decided to give the latest Vista drivers and beta 7 drivers a go with the sound card. Vista drivers installed when I ran them in compatibility mode, and the beta 7 ones installed just by double clicking. But they sure as hell don't work. The outcome was finger nails on chalk board squeals, with adding spitting and popping. So that's not a good idea :lol: . Then maybe on the off chance that mapping it to 7.1SS would help - it didn't.

Oh, but the new Nvidia drivers that are out now allow me to enable SLI :thumb: .

BT

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:36 pm 
Project's Bitch

Crank up the spin doctors, 7 is going to be release this year.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/11/windows_7_2009/

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:50 am 
Project's Bitch

Maybe it as because I had the drivers for XP installed on another drive but Windows 7 picked nearly all drivers up. Ones it didn't get were audio and WLAN. So I connected by ethernet cable to broadband and downloaded the WLAN drivers right away. I had to look for the audio drivers myself, so found vista ones that worked.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:51 am 
Project's Bitch

A lot of laptops use the same chipsets, so you probably just have most of the more common stuff on your beast. How did find it speedwise?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:00 pm 
Project's Bitch

Haven't really taken it for a proper test drive yet but everything seems to be running smoothly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:15 pm 
Project's Bitch

It official, they're releasing Windows 7 this year.

22nd Oct

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/02/microsoft_confirms_october_windows_7_release_date/

I will finally be able to recommend PCs to people without having to say "but order it with XP Pro or live with Vista". About Six months or so after release maybe :wink:

I wonder if it will come as a 32/64 bit version or if the 64 bit version will be extra?

How long have we had 64 bit PCs? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 am 
Project's Bitch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stm

Like that'll make a difference to the MS juggernaut.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:57 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I notice pre-orders are available in the US now for Win7. They're also offering a pre-order discount on everything apart from Ultimate. Hopefully we'll get a similar deal here.

The upgrade packs look interesting (and cheaper) but I've heard people say never upgrade Windows, start fresh. Would anyone here be able to elaborate as to why upgrading is bad and what problems they've encountered?

BT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:55 pm 
Project's Bitch

In general, you always start with a fresh installation. The upgrade often brings all the bullshit with it from your old OS. Little registery issues and old version of files, all sorts of BS like that.

You could cheat, most upgrades will let you install a fresh OS as long as they see the disc or some other proof at some point. If you have to do it the hard way, install a barebones fresh OS and then upgrade that.

I tend to avoid upgrades if possible. You can get stuck, not able to complete the upgrade and not able to rollback either. I suppose it's easier with ghosting and cheap HDDs now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:37 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Windows 7 pre-orders are up at amazon. Basic is on 50% discount, Professional 18% and Ultimate 17%. Looks like Ultimate will be just under £200. I'm going to hold off for a bit before pre-ordering. Maybe other sites will give better deals.

BT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:45 pm 
Project's Bitch

Can't see myself recommending it or buying it before spring 2010. Between the requirement for a fresh install and the fact that I always like to give them a couple of months out in the wild so that all the nasty little surprise are ironed out.

At least Office 2010 will be available in 64bit, so it may finally make sense to get Windows in 64 bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:57 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I got a bit bored today and decided to give Win 7 RC another go (since I noticed creative have new drivers out for my card). It now works with sound :thumb: . No more annoying popping and spitting.

So I went ahead and pre-ordered my Win7 Ultimate. I'll probably have it on dual boot with Vista64 since I can't be bothered removing Vista or trying to back stuff up.

BT