Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Travelling
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:58 am 
Kodama bit my bum

Anyone do it? I drove an hour north today to visit Denver, Colorado. Had a con going down up there. Halloween paled in comparsion... Anyone gone to a different country?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:12 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

If you mean on my own; then no. I have almost no reason to leave the house :lol: . But we've been to a few countries: Malta, Menorca and most recently (last year) Florida.

Florida was the best :thumb: . I would go again just to sit and watch the TV all day. I got to see some Mythbusters before they came out over here in the UK, and of course the late night anime was on every night at that point. And the adverts with "Sheriff Officer Gradey Judd" telling us about "safe outdoor fun" :lol: .

Sod Disney world, going down to the nearby PC store to buy some cheap computer parts not available in the UK is where the fun's at. Or haggling with the guys in the store, you never see that in PC World here, they don't keep lowering the price to get you to buy anything. We had a giant Wal-Mart nearby too. It puts the "largest one in Scotland" near us to shame. Only thing I noticed was you’re not as big on your "bread products" over in the US. One tiny corner dedicated to sweet rolls and sugary bread; half our store is bread and rolls.

The roads in Florida are great to drive on too. Everything is logically space out and well sign posted. Unlike our crappy squeeze through the centre of Edinburgh, while holding the car on a hill for 10 days, waiting to get out the traffic jam. You're lucky if you can fit 2 cars on the road here.

Yeah, that turned into a "what's better about America" comparison, but I would definitely go to America again sometime. It also shows how little impact the other 2 countries had on me, since I can hardly remember anything good or bad about them.

BT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:23 pm 
Space Oddity

I'll be travelling from Scotland to York next weekend. All alone.

I actually quite like travelling alone so long as I feel prepared. Google maps is a great modern help. I remember trying to find my way around with nothing but someone elses directions. That makes me sound old but in fact it wasn't that long ago! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:42 pm 
Project's Bitch

Some of England, Wales and Scotland.

France, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Greece.

Saudi Arabia, back when it was a nice safe place to be, so I barely remember that at all.

Even sailed across the Channel twice :puke: That's when I discovered what it's like to be truly seasick.

I still do use a map occasionally due to my GPS being a bit out of date, it struggles to find some places.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:55 pm 
Project's Bitch

On my own, got away to Dublin and Galway for a couple of days. But if travelling abroad on my own, would usually be to meet others over there. Including a nice long flight to Philadelphia on my lonesome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:00 pm 
Space Oddity

I forgot to mention that I don't drive. So all my travelling is by public transport.

Makes life a bit more difficult. Still I would LOVE to travel more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:02 pm 
Ow, my eye!

Location: Januarius (if someone can tell me where thats from i'll be impressed)
Last place me and the band of merry retards i call my family went was canada
Its great there wouldent mind going there again sometime, crisp air, beautiful sceneary and the ladies arent half bad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:09 pm 
Project's Bitch

When going to Dublin, I always take the bus since couldn't be bothered trying to drive around that city.

Think next trip away may be to Munich about next March.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:11 pm 
Project's Bitch

Same with me and going to London.

Between stupid parking fees, congestion charge, insane road users and having battle the M25 it's so much easier to take a train.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:40 pm 
Call the Cops

I usually have to go up to Dublin by bus on my own, if I want to get some comics, DVDs or some decent albums.

Otherwise the only real road trips I do, is when me and a few mates head up to Galway, Dublin or anywhere else and have a night on town or go to a gig. There's at least 2 or 3 gigs I'd be heading up to Dublin for in the next few months.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:43 pm 
Project's Bitch

How long is the trip to Dublin for you? Takes at least 3 hours for me by car. So like we can't go there or Galway just for a night out or gig. Would need to make arrangements for accomodation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:59 pm 
Call the Cops

Well accomodation wise I know a few people up there that I can crash with, so that wouldn't be a problem. It's not like we'd head up there regularly just for a night out, just be once or twice a year when a good few are wanting to go. 2 or 3 of us heading to gigs would be more of a regular occurance however.

Going by car isn't that long now with the new main road and all the bypasses (spelling?), it's just about over 2 hours to reach UCD. Going by bus is a lot longer 'cause of all the stops, it's well over 3 hours. It's actually been a while since I went up last so I can't remember exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:00 am 
Kodama bit my bum

Looks like I'll be heading back the ol' home state of California this christmas. I'm going by plane. No friggin' way I'm driving my car over the Rockies. It was eighty + degrees today and there was still snow on top of 'em!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:29 am 
Kodama bit my bum

Travelling, eh? Let me see. I've been to Berlin, France and a couple o' places in between. More recently last year and in... 10 days me and Howard have skipped over to Japan for holiday times! In Japan specifically we have visited Tokyo (Various places therein o'course. Ueno, Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku and soon we visit Odaiba, Asakusa, Ebisu, Ginza etc.) Kyoto, Takayama, Nikko, Hakone, Himeiji, Hiroshima and Miyajima. Again, I'm sure a few places in between but I intend to visit much more!

This trip should be particularly exciting considering Howard's and my itinerary. At some point we are off to a parasitological museum in Meguro, the only one in the world I might add (For those interested visit http://kiseichu.org/english.aspx and witness the wonder of the t-shirts)! Also a shop called Condomania... just because I have heard wondrous stories of the what is held inside. :safesex:

...Just because that is what you do when you go to Japan, apparently. :shifty:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:29 am 
Project's Bitch

Will we get the pleasure of regular reportage from H & E in Japan?

How else can you lord it over us? :wink: