Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ubuntu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:48 pm 
Project's Bitch

I was bored, so I installed it.

Wow, compared to Redhat and the like 5 years ago, it's a whole new planet. Select a few basic options, set it going and it worked like a dream 1st time.

It resized the partition, installed a Boot menu, Linux, GUI and the all the basics from one CD.

Video, sound, keyboard and mouse all worked straight away and it only took me 5 minutes of fiddling to get the bootloader to default to XP.

Sometimes life really does get easier.

The only glitches so far are 180Mb in Updates and the need to run chkdsk when I 1st boot back into Windows.

Even on my fairly old PC it runs about the same speed as Windows XP too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:36 pm 
Project's Bitch

Ah fine, screw you technophobes :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:35 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I never have understood why people want to install different OS on their home systems. Windows does everything just fine ( :lol: ), and you probably can't play most of my games on other OS.

I've got a friend who insists on installing Linux on everything. I then went over to play some games on his system (nothing amazing, stuff like Space Invaders). But did it work out? No. Have to compile, get emulators, set-up something and it just didn't work out. But if he had Windows, insert disk, win.

Anyway, have fun with your random OS, and good luck finding software worth running on it :lol: .

BT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:55 pm 
Project's Bitch

It's a dual boot and I did it just because.

As for games, I don't play them very often now, so it's not an issue.

Firefox 3, Open Office, frankly the list is waaaaaaay too long and repetitive as there are usually at least three or four offerings for each thing that you might want to do.

I was just investigating after discovering that a copy of Windows Vista can cost up to £200 and bollox your computer. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:02 am 
Mumbo Jumbo

I guess one advantage to using a different OS is that it will be more resistant to malware, though if you keep your Windows up to date, use effect anti-spyware/virus programs and practice sensible surfing habits then that shouldn't be much of an issue.

ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:13 am 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Sorry, maybe I should have made it clear. Software that can't already be run on Windows. (Now you're going to come back with "The software performs better under different OS")

Personally I avoid Vista, needing 2GB of RAM to run adequately and having a max of 3GB on the 32-bit version. Plus it drains about 10FPS when compared against XP on a test I did. Currently I use XP on 3 systems and Vista on 2. The Vista systems are sooo slow, and locking you out of Administrator access is quite annoying. But I'm not the one using them, so that's fine.

I'm going to try Vista 64-bit when I finish building the computer I'm currently looking at. Hopefully I will see an improvement, otherwise it's back to XP. I also heard they're already working on a new Windows, and they've still not fine tuned Vista to be an acceptable gaming OS like the promised. "Games for Windows". Wait I've drifted off topic :oops: .

edit: Yeah I hear people say that a lot about malware protection. But as you said an up-to-date system should be protected fine and a careful user will protect a system further. If you choose a different OS for security reasons you will have to make sacrifices elsewhere, and for the majority of home users it's not worth it.

BT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:28 pm 
Project's Bitch

You were putting words into my mouth. :)

The ordinary home user nowadays tends to browse the web, store and print photos, maybe write a document or two and that's about it, so unless they're gamers, they could easily save between £60 and £200 on software.

Vista will take 4GB of RAM but you tend to only get around 3.5GB of system addressable RAM. If they'd get their fingers out of their arses and produce the 64bit versions of all the software people want things would finally happen on that front. As for the admin lock thing, you can choose to disable it, along with Aero and lots of other bits and pieces, it tends to run quicker and crash less then :roll:

As for malware protection, it's only because they not writing it for Linux at the moment, if it truly took off then so would the malware.

It's easy to say that an upto date PC with appropriate protection and a sensible user is safe, but the simple fact is that the majority of users are barely PC literate. They just want to switch it on and use it, just like a car.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:53 pm 
Mumbo Jumbo

Quote:
Vista will take 4GB of RAM

Sod that, my computer only has 390 MB of ram, and it runs everything fine in XP (except of course any game made in the last 8 years).
Quote:
It's easy to say that an upto date PC with appropriate protection and a sensible user is safe, but the simple fact is that the majority of users are barely PC literate. They just want to switch it on and use it, just like a car.

Yep, for my first few months online my computer was absolutely swamped in malware, I was also duped into downloading many fraudulent programs.
It took time to learn the ways of the computer and internet.

ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:17 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

:revive thread:

I went ahead and attempted to use the latest 9.04 release of this OS. I say attempted because it doesn't detect any of my hardware. No sound, no wireless, no GFX cards, nothing useful (well it did detect my mouse and correctly read the on-board sensitivity chip :thumb: )

It feels horrible to use, like a gimped Mac OSX. A "start bar" up the top of the screen, blasphemy. Orange as your default colour, orange! I am not biased in any way :twisted: .

Junk aside, I still stand by my "why bother" attitude towards Linux and other weird operating systems. Windows still has the greatest compatibility with all hardware and software I will probably ever need to use. The only good point is Linux is free, but like everything with computers, you get what you pay for :wink: . Maybe there's some crazy reason for using Linux, but so far I can't see any reason why.

(I had nothing to do today and was playing around with Perl scripts, yet they seemed to be more geared towards Linux. So I thought "what's all the fuss about". That's why I bothered looking into this :lol: )

*need to reboot computer, the shut down from Linux has caused my GFX card fan to stop working*

BT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:29 pm 
Project's Bitch

Pfft, you do like your bleeding edge stuff. So suffer :lol:

Why bother? OK, you can do without your Tom Tom, router, Sky box (maybe) and about a zillion other things that all run with a linux kernel :wink:

As for Mac OS X, that's a bastardised Linux box, not the other way round :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:39 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I will accept my router runs under a Unix system. I was actually told that a while ago, that Linux is better at handling network traffic edit: and database queries. The rest I don't own or care about :P. SatNav, well I'd have to go out to warrant buying one.

BT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm 
Project's Bitch

Take off the blinkers 8)

How about running it on a PS3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

For no good reason, unless you want to make a super computer :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:55 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

PS3, pah. :puke: I stopped playing the PS after 1. I'm sure it's very useful for doing something, just not anything I'm interested in doing :P .

Actually saying that, most hardware development companies want people to have Linux experience. So I'm sure I'm going to end up going near it again at some point. Our uni has a Linux lab, but it's not for Electrical Engineers. Computer and Software Engineers only. So for now the blinkers stay on.

BT