Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blu-ray anime
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:37 am 
Project's Bitch

Finally had the BD of Ponyo come through in the post this week and I have to say it looks su-frickin-perb. I didn't have many doubts about it as they'd been distributing Ponyo to some cinemas in 4k digital. The step down to 'full' HD would have been hard to balls up! I can also report its in 1080 24fps! YAY! The way it should be!

At the start they have some trailers for older Ghibli films and you can see just how crap the quality is on those. You go from 1080 to something thats barely NTSC res and its night and day.

The other BD that looks good is Eva 1.11. Nekkid Rei in HD! :wnw: What does show up this DVD is the crappy Manga logo at the start. C'mon boys, sort it out! Just to rub salt into the wound its followed by the Madman logo in crisp clear HD.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:53 pm 
Project's Bitch

I've got Skycrawlers and Eva 1.11 to enjoy in tasty BD.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:17 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Japan has loads of Blu-ray releases - in fact almost everything from last season has a BD release. But very few even make their way to the US, never mind here. Some series really would benefit from the higher resolutions and smoother pan shots, but the majority just brings out the ugly or shabby parts of the animation. At the moment a Blu-ray with 2 episodes cost ~£65, DVDs ~£50, in Japan. Boxsets, even though they may be cheaper, are still crazy prices -£450 for Clannad Blu-ray, it has english subs.

On top of disk cost you've got to have the correct equipment. People ripping the RAWs and subbing them can be played relatively easily without the silly hardware restrictions.

I'm only expecting to see big name "movie" anime coming out in Blu-ray here, such as Eva. It just doesn't look to be a viable format for episodic series here; but we'll see.

I know what you mean about the Manga logo, it looks VHS quality.

BT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:59 pm 
Project's Bitch

Funi seem to have started releasing quite a few BDs in region A and B. Can only be a good thing. £450 for Clannad?? I wouldn't pay £45!! The animation budget for a series will be relatively lower on a $ per hr basis. Plus the fact they are to be broadcast on TV rather than in the cinema. I'm not overly worried that series are not coming on BD just yet.

There are more and more region fixable standalone players around now. Although the one I really want is still £500 :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:01 am 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Are you sure A & B from FUNi? I can't find any solid info on this. There are some region unlocked BD, but not many. Some are upscales too no?

I'm not that bothered myself about BD for series; DVD is fine. Knowing there's a BD release out there and not having the option to buy it is a bit of a pain. But so is knowing a series is out there and not having access full stop is worse; just got to be patient. I'm more impressed with a surround sound track since streaming can't provide that luxury - unless I'm "doing it wrong".

BT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 am 
Project's Bitch

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Select funimation from the studio list.

Most Bandai stuff is region free too.

Most people watching on computers don't have surround. The upscale thing is a bit of a pain but its nothing like as bad as some tards out there make out. You simple CANNOT have a true HD release if the source never existed in a suitable format.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:38 am 
Project's Bitch

Oo, I'd forgotten about the Akira BD, but maybe I'll wait.

It's £30. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 pm 
Call the Cops

Wings of Honneamise is $71! :shock:

Personally I'd only buy a Blue Ray only if I know I'll really like the movie/series/whatever or if it has particularly impressive visuals. Dvd is fine for me and it's cheaper to boot.