Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Charlie Brooker's Gamewipe
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:28 pm 
Project's Bitch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Gameswipe/

Really good watch, but better for the glimpses of old games, and the old game shows too. I remember GamesMaster, of course, but forgot all about Cyber Zone!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 am 
sexXxholic

All round it was an excellent piece. A little disparaging and melancholy in some places (that last line taken from the old 80's computer programme was still so depressingly apt after 20 years I almost wept into my Alex Kidd boxer shorts) but then that is to be expected from the "...wipe" format I think.

The talking heads segments were probably my favourite part of the show though. Chiefly because they were from celebrities who genuinely seemed to enjoy games, not some vaguely famous shitcreep waffling on about Mario and Pacman in a no knowledge, scattershot attempt at nostalgia. Dara O'Brianananan's comments about Gears of War and repetition in games was spot on and Graham Linehan's comments on film in games were sadly right on the money. Playing Wet on the 360 recently hammers home exactly what he was talking about regarding developers aping film. My heart truly belongs to Rab and Ryan though. Hovver Bovver being spoken of in such reverential terms and describing the music in Marble Madness like "a chandelier falling downstairs" is a magical bit of games journalism. But then I loved Rab and Ryan prior to the show so I'm bound to say that really.

The only duff moment I really found was that awful woman's review of Madworld. Laugh? I barely started. And of course the fact that what with it being a one off show quite a lot had to be jammed in to 50 minutes leaving quite a few subjects largely untouched. That said, it's the best representation of video games on television since, well, VideoGaiden.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:55 pm 
Project's Bitch

I nearly squealed when they talked about Penetrator and Jet Set Willie. As they said, proper retro games. Loved the remark about how you had to get the skill of dropping the bomb right in Penetrator. So true.

As ever, seeing the subject through the media's eyes was very revealing. Numerous scare stories, very little actual insight.

Agreed about the speakers too. Could tell they loved games, not just famous people talking for the sake of it (One Show take note!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:48 pm 
Project's Bitch

When Dara was complaining about the games, was he complaining about how you had to progress to get more? Isn't that a bit obvious. At first I thought he was complaining about one thing I dislike: unlockables. Like how you finish a game but it only shows as 75% complete because you didn't collect those bugs that you were asked to collect as a side quest.
I understand some people don't mind having to go in and do every little thing possible, but I usually get a game and play it from start to finish and happily stop when I complete the final level.

As for shows about games on now, the only recent show I used to watch was Playr and now they've replaced that with some crap shows that talks about games that came out months ago. GameFace and Ginx Files, I think. I remember one episode where they showed Indy and the Staff of Kings and went off on a tangent talking about hats or whips or some other uninteresting thing like that

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:44 pm 
Project's Bitch

Yes he was bemoaning how you won't get to know how things turn out, what is going on without getting to the end. Agreed, seems obvious, but could see his point too. Guess he just need to get better.

Some years back there was a very cool late night show called Bitz, presented by three women, all of whom did other things for a bit after it finished.
Was a good show on bravo I saw on Sundays, Sam Delaney presenting it, but not seen in some time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:48 am 
Project's Bitch

Yeah that was Playr before it got relaunched as Playr. GamerTV, I think. Then there was When Games Attack with Dominik Diamond, GamePad with Violet Berlin from Bad Influence and SFG presented by Emily something who used to be on Bits with Emily Booth and someone else.
Then I remember FriendlyTV had a show where people basically played and talked about games and read and answered texts live

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:42 pm 
Project's Bitch

Should have known you'd know them all. :wnw:

Yes Player and GamerTV the ones I have seen recently, and GamePad, forgot about that one.

Yes there was Emily B, Emily C (or some other letter) and I think the other was Alex who was either American or Canadian.

Of course, I also used to watch Gamenetwork, before that went downhill very badly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:47 pm 
Project's Bitch

Yeah I remember watching bits of GameNetwork but it was just constant repeats with no structure.

There was also XLeague on Pulse where game Network's Guru was hosting. Guru Larry

And i'll reluctantly mention the show that used to be on Sky One presented by those 2 guys who were about as entertaining as a wallpaper convention.

Oh and wasn't Cybernet the one on ITV similar to Movies, Games and Videos?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:11 pm 
Call the Cops

CastorTroy81 wrote:
And i'll reluctantly mention the show that used to be on Sky One presented by those 2 guys who were about as entertaining as a wallpaper convention.

Gah, you shouldn't have mentioned it. You. Should. Not. Have. Mentioned. It. :el:

We all know of it, we just don't talk of it. :el: :el:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:21 pm 
Project's Bitch

Yeah Gamenetwork went on a 6hour cycle. Some shows were worth watching, others not. Plus there was Bettina. :pop:

Cybernet sounds familar. If on ITV makes sense would have the same format. There has often been a gaming show somewhere at an obscure time. Not sure about now. Think everything has gone to online mags and shows.

Um, not remembering that show on SKY One though. Or have I blocked it out? :scratch:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:32 pm 
Project's Bitch

You forced my hand.
Gamezville:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamezville
Love the comments from other presenters/producers

I actually prefer to watch the shows on tv than digging through pages to download videos to watch on my laptop. Maybe if they also put it on at some decent time and not at 7 or 8 on a Saturday/Sunday morning. Who in their target audience would be up at that time?! I usually Sky Plussed it if I remembered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:59 pm 
Project's Bitch

Well there we go. Gamesville. Yes I do remember watching that. How could I forget? :el:

Loved those comments. Diamond has always been quite sharp with the wit.
When Games Attack - now that I loved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:31 pm 
sexXxholic

Dominik Diamond as we all remember him...Possibly (WARNING! NAUGHTY WORDS)

I loved the games segment on FriendlyTV! I remember when it first started it used to go on for about 3 hours. The low budget, tediousness of the show was just spectacularly awful. One particularly memorable moment involved the fatter, nerdier of the two hosts describing Perfect Blue as "good for the kids" when someone texted in and asked whether he watched anime.

Quote:
Yes there was Emily B, Emily C (or some other letter) and I think the other was Alex who was either American or Canadian.

Aleks Krotoski was the latter. She's quite the academic nowadays too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:43 pm 
Project's Bitch

I recognise that face.

She was the english mangling one that you used to see before the anime section on scifi, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:06 pm 
Project's Bitch

Aww good ole DD. :wnw:
Really liked his radio shows. He was very good on football phone ins until he packed it in for not being able to express his own opinions.

Yeah that's the Alex, or Aleks one. They all popped up for a bit after, then vanished. :(