Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Gamer's Love...My videogaming column
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 pm 
Call the Cops

A shameless plug for an article that I wrote for a Nintendo website.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12303

This article is just about my addiction to the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, and how it all began a couple of years ago.

This is the first of many that I'll be writing for this website. Expect some more shameless plugs in the future. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:05 pm 
Project's Bitch

Nice plug and cool article. I haven't played any of those games myself. Maybe sometime in the future.

But have to ask, being a Nintendo fan, what are the games in the banner at the top? Just wondering about the zombie, the girl with the torch and the black and white guy? Is it Dead Rising or Resi Evil 4, Fatal Frame and dunno the last.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:19 am 
Call the Cops

I have absolutely no idea meself, to be quite honest. :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 am 
sexXxholic

The games (from left to right) are Wario: The Shake Dimension, Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop, Fatal Frame 4, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Madworld and Wii Sports Resort. And if you haven't checked out Madworld yet, for the love of God find some trailers for it now. It looks absolutely stunning.

Nice article too Roostophe. I enjoy a bit of Guitar Hero myself (although Rock Band can pretty much fuck off thanks to being ludicrously expensive). There seems to be an odd divide with Guitar Hero and it's ilk though, inasmuch as there seems to be a lot of people who love rhythm action games but loathe GH and, conversely, there are those who love GH but can't get on with other rhythm action games. I've got friends who love GH now but back when Harmonix released Frequency and Amplitude they wouldn't touch either game. As you hint at in your article, I think the guitar peripheral itself gives GH a tangible control mechanism that makes the entirely abstract conceit of pressing buttons in time with coloured dots far more exciting than it would be if handled with just a bog standard controller.

Heck, I dunno. The divide could simply just be rhythm action fans who're pissed off that their niche genre is suddenly big business and that everyone and their dog knows how to play Barracuda now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 am 
Project's Bitch

Cheers Howard. I'll check the Madworld trailer tonight. I had heard of Fatal Frame and Dead Rising games being released.

As for Guitar Hero, its success could also probably be attributed to being a guy's cool equivalent of all those karaoke and dance games except with better music and more guy-friendly way to interact. Like which do guys prefer: being seen dancing and singing or being seen playing guitar?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:08 pm 
Call the Cops

Been a while since my first column, but I've had a new one put up:

The website are doing a celebration of 10 years since Ocarina of Time was released, and this is what this new blog is about.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12691

If interested, there's another column with other members' thoughts on the game. I'm on that one as well, second from last.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12687

Hopefully in the new year the first of my "Gamer's Hate" columns will be up, but it depends on when because the chap who puts the column up has a busy life to deal with. But I'll keep ya informed. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:16 am 
Project's Bitch

10 years? Really? Was the first Zelda I ever played. Was addicted to it. I have 2 copies of the Collectors edition with Majora and the first 2 games as well as the disc with OoT and Master Quest. Haven't really played Majora or Master Quest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:29 pm 
Mumbo Jumbo

Another enjoyable column Roostophe, you might just have a bright career in video game journalism ahead of you.

Got to admit though, I've never had much of a soft spot for OoT. I bought it back in Christmas 1998 and I tried to like it, but it just never grew on me like the other Zelda's did.

ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:32 pm 
Call the Cops

A change from the norm in this new one. Because instead of love, it's hate.

Fanboyism. I hate it. Read about it here: http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12806

It's a bit long, but there's also a good comic to read about a third of the way down. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:04 pm 
Project's Bitch

It's very long and I only skimmed a bit of it, but I did spot a spelling mistake :P

Quote:
A mess that I still have no bothered to clean up (I slipped over it last week, nearly broke my ankle. Ouch).

Unless you were speaking with a Scottish accent there. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:12 pm 
Call the Cops

That actually isn't my fault, that one. The editor must have done that. (I still have the original document and it says "haven't" instead of "have not".) :scratch:

SRSLY, that's the trooth!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:56 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I read this newest article all the way through. I liked your comparisons, very tongue-in-cheek. It certainly made the article entertaining to read. The other 2 articles were not to my taste sadly.

Personally I'm fed up with consoles. I can't remember the last time I got excited about playing one. Mario Kart Wii kept my attention for about a week, any other console games I've bought last a day if they're lucky. And then all this extra junk like Guitar Hero (yeah you like it, I loath it) and Wii Fit, I can't stand it any more.

MMOs keep me occupied now. Well actually that's starting to dwindle now, nothing innovative is coming out. The last time I really got stuck into one was Vanguard, and then it was power levelling crafting. That was good fun, trying to be first to max level.

There's "fan boys" for everything now. From Nvidia vs ATI, AMD vs Intel, WoW vs any MMO. I've just ignored it for every console I owned. I don't think I've ever been so closed minded as to say "My PS is better than your N64" (although I would say my PC pwns all consoles, because it does :lol: ).

I remember playing that WWF No Mercy with my old friend. We used to spend hours playing Royal Rumble (or whatever it was, the one where loads of dudes enter the ring and then get knocked out one at a time) - with me getting pummelled by AI, and him standing back until the very end and winning. :lol: In fact, now that I think about it, every game we played panned out like that.

However when it came to playing Smack Down it just wasn't the same. Sure you could leave the ring, and get hit by cars (or was that Smackdown 2?) for the first time. It just lacked the charm and fun of No Mercy.

BT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:11 pm 
Call the Cops

I don't mind your dislike for Guitar Hero. But I do agree with Wii Fit. The fuck is that?

Yeah, WWF No Mercy involved some of the most fun multiplayer games I've ever had. And what you mentioned was the Royal Rumble (which, coincidentally, 2009's Royal Rumble happened just last night if you didn't know.), I didn't play that too often. I most played the Ladder Matches, those were awesome (One of us just about to win before we get knocked off the ladder by a bottle of water!). But when we tried multiplayer on SmackDown it just wasn't the same. Not as fun and it could be rather annoying.