Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Games that stick in your head
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:23 pm 
Project's Bitch

I haven't played many games in recent years, but two that always stick in my head are:

Deus Ex: Great game, loved the variation, complexity and for it's time flexibility. It sadden me to hear that they made DE 2 much smaller and easier.

The Thing: Again a great game, much more linear, but good fun. Really nice way to continue the film, very immersive. I know I jumped backwards a few times whilst blasting some sort of creepy crawly head or something.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:00 am 
Mew Mew's apprentice

bioshock was a game that stuck in my head for a while.
i would go to sleep dreaming that i was playing it.
i would get confused between my dream and the actual game.. :scratch:

pokemon was another game,
i played it so much that the music had been burned into my brain.. :el:
and i kept thinking my gameboy was on when it wasn't

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:20 am 
sexXxholic

Pokémon Blue. Unfortunately mine's been nicked, but I loved that game. Finished it 100% too, all 150 pokémon, the works!

Errr... Mystical Ninja: Starring Geomon.What a great game. I have all the music on my iPod! (Geek or wha!?)

Super Mario Land, the very first one. That last boss had me captivated for at least half an hour. I played for a solid day to finish that game! (No save function...) (I have all that music on my iPod too!)

Grand Theft Auto III. IMHO, the best of the lot. A good length, a good size, good cars, good missions, not too easy, not too hard. Great.

And, of course, that timeless classic, LoZ: Ocarina of Time. I'd say I think about it at least once a day. If not more.

kodama, I wasn't much of a fan of Deus Ex. I can't remember much of it either, but that might be because I only played it a few times, in a friend's house, and really didn't think that much of it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:04 am 
Kodama bit my bum

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

the game press hate this when it came out. they said its too dark and gray. well its the ruins of a radioactive city of course there's not neon lights every where in pretty colors. yet they loved halo 3 witch is just a one way kill fest (but was pretty). STALKER levels are so open plan if you need to get into some where you fight your way along the road, snake throw the bushes or run across the radioactive hotspots. its up to you.

also unlike most FPS you find your self with more stuff then you can carry. there a lot of stuff you need food, med kits, body armor, as there both old Warsaw pack and NATO guns fluting around the zone each of witch need a different type of ammo. so instead of selling every thing you find like in most RPG's you find your self make little stashes of ammo, food, med kits and guns around the levels. each of witch is saved and you can go back to at any point if you need to and can be assed to walk back to it.

ok it did have some bugs but they added to the charm of the games. and it was the best FPS/RPG after Deus Ex :wnw:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:11 am 
Project's Bitch

Crucifer wrote:
kodama, I wasn't much of a fan of Deus Ex. I can't remember much of it either, but that might be because I only played it a few times, in a friend's house, and really didn't think that much of it.

You were a young 'un when it came out in 2000 :P . I only ever played it on PC so I don't know what the conversions were like. It was a game that required patience and weeks of playing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:49 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Fable, one of the best games of all time, and its only going to be upstaged by Fable 2 when it comes out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:21 pm 
Call the Cops

Skies of Arcadia: This game was one of the Dreamcast's many gems, but it got more of the exposure it deserved when it was released for the Gamecube.
I loved this game. It had a great story and had a charm to it that kept you going back to it over and over again.

Grandia II: Another of the Dreamcast's many gems, but it got more of the exposure it deserved when it was released for the PlayStation 2. (Yes, that was on purpose.)
A brilliant J-RPG with a unique battle system I've yet to see bettered. It had a great story and an awesome world.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:21 pm 
Ow, my eye!

Location: Lurking beneath the trapdoor, in the dark, waiting to come out...
Chaos on the spectrum was an awesome game, it was one of the first games I ever played and still do this to day :)

Alien Breed and Alien Breed 2 on the Amiga was a hell of a lot of fun.

Final fantasy 8 on the playstation is my all time favourite game, its sheer awesomeness :D

The Elder scrolls 3: Morrowind is another that stands out, an absolutely massive game that took me 2 years to totally complete, so much better than Oblivion.

I'm peachy keen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:00 pm 
Call the Cops

Sonic 2 on the megadrive.
My favourite of all the Sonic games. Its a classic, even the music is top notch.

Silent Service on the commodore 64.
Its a WWII submarine game. You play as an American sub captain going around the Pacific sinking Japanese ships. I spent hours just sailing around trying to find and sink japanese convoys. And when the ships would spot the sub, I would actually get tence. I would think youngsters nowadays wouldnt even give it a chance 'cause of its graphics but it still stands up as a excellent game.

Ryu Soma wrote:
Final fantasy 8 on the playstation is my all time favourite game, its sheer awesomeness :D

I second that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:59 pm 
Project's Bitch

The Metroid Prime games stick in my head. Just great translations of a 2D game no one said were possible.

Also there are some games where I could see something that reminds me of the game and I suddenly want to play again. Resi Evil and Viewtiful Joe are both like this.

Then Prince of Persia. Just stick in the head as games you can just play a bit and come back later, thanks to the number of save points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:42 pm 
sexXxholic

I almost forgot...

I think it was called street fighter, and it was on SNES. It was just a character going through linear levels, beating up the enemies that periodically jumped him, while being inventive with bit's of drain pipe, dustbins etc., and the last boss was an obese gangster with a chain gun. I can't remember much else, but I remember it was fun!

And Doom 2 for the PC. 30 levels of hellish goodness. Sweeeeet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:45 pm 
Mumbo Jumbo

You're thinking of Final Fight I believe.

ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:02 pm 
sexXxholic

Could be. Could be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:47 pm 
Motoko's Bitch

The one game that sticks in my head more than any other is Elite on the BBC Micro. There have been numerous attempts to copy the premise but lets be honest most of them failed. (Personably I think this is because they tried to add a story line, narrative, back story, missions & other features)

Eve Online is probably the closest thing I’ve played that has come close to emulating the sheer brilliance that was Elite. But even than sometimes I think Eve gets bogged down by it features.

My adolescence was spent playing this game. So I guess I’m somewhat biased. But it was just such a simple idea done so well, & the fact that there is a list of games both released & cancelled that have tried to in some way emulate its success surly says something about how good it was & to an extent still is.

Other games that have I have stuck with me.
Resident Evil: I was shocked when the dogs burst through the window.
Chocks Away: Flight Sim on the Acorn (Or so I believe) a bit like the 1990/1991 game Red Baron.
Thief: If a game can ever get to big for its boots it would be this one. Deadly Shadows… Tried so hard & while I think it’s a good game it wasn’t as good as its predecessors. Thief 2: The Metal Age was just a brilliant game. They got rid of the undead from Thief: The Dark Project. & it spawned a mammoth fan based unofficial expansion. Some people say that Hidden & Dangerous defined the art of the sneak’um’up if that’s true Thief is the game that planted the thought in the developers head that such a game was possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 pm 
SPARTA!!!!!

Before I fell victim to the curse that is WoW, played/modded/edited copius amounts of Quake3 with a side salad of Neverwinter Nights role playing for my chilled out 'get in touch with yer feminine side' moments 8)

Those two games will last fondly in my memory until I die, or amnesia takes a hold of me :?

Edit: Kohigh_Mathy, I still eagerly await a real 'remake' of David Brabham's masterpiece 'Elite', had that on my Amiga 1200 back in the bronze age :lol: