Red Dwarf Returns

All things visual

Moderator: Old Git

CastorTroy81
Project's Bitch
AC Username: gpatton81

Red Dwarf Returns

#31 Post by CastorTroy81 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:05 pm

I've only seen Blade Runner once, way back about the first time I saw Akira and neither made sense to me. But I plan on watching Blade Runner again now I'm older but just have to figure out which version to watch since there are nearly as many versions of it as there are of The Warriors.

The hologram won't have been killed last night since they can't be hurt. Remember the Legion ep?

And of course, how could we have forgotten about Season 9? The greatest season so far.

I'm curious to check out the back of the dvd when it's released to see if it gives away as much of the plot as they seem to read?
Ebenezer Scrooge was a weak minded lightweight.
He broke after only a few hours of brainwashing!!!

Ryu Soma
Ow, my eye!
AC Username: I could be anyone
Location: Lurking beneath the trapdoor, in the dark, waiting to come out...

Red Dwarf Returns

#32 Post by Ryu Soma » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:04 pm

That was a much better episode than last nights, though i do think they over did the blade runner references just a little.

It was better ending than I thought it would be after seeing the second episode but I do feel there was a bit too much cgi used, I do miss the old sets.
The Ecchiman
Shop smart, shop S-Mart
I'm peachy keen

kodama
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#33 Post by kodama » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Way too much Bladerunner, anybody who's never seen it will be confused as hell.

All the CGI explains the lack of studio audience.

As for the old "it was only a dream" excuse :roll:

Captain Kuchiki
Call the Cops
AC Username: Captain Kuchiki

Red Dwarf Returns

#34 Post by Captain Kuchiki » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:31 pm

Just finished watching it on youtube (never got Sky back in time)

What...the...hell...was...that...s***?

Part I was alright, then it turned into absolute rubbish - trying to sell the DVDs a bit too much? xD The characters seem just like I remember them...but the actual story was rubbish
'Flowers, so many the same. So many without purpose' - Rei Ayanami
'Chavs, so many the same. So many without purpose' - Captain Kuchiki

Old Git
Project's Bitch
AC Username: Prisoner KSC2 303

Red Dwarf Returns

#35 Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 am

When the big screen of the Chinese/Japanese woman came up, I did yell 'ok, we get it!' :roll:

Yeah, ok, basically they redid the Despair Squid. Not the greatest plot. But least it made sense in the end. Can't complain there.
It did go back to its roots. Lister pining for Kochanski, searching for a way to go back home. A lot of episodes in the first two series were like this, with jumping back in time or playing the game Better Than Life.

Did enjoy the Corrie bit to be honest. Loved the northern accents! :lol:
Kochanski had some right big hair at the end!

So yeah, overall it was Red Dwarf Lite. But wasn't terrible. Glad they did it. Enjoyed seeing them play the roles again. They haven't lost that knack.
Considering it got thrown together a bit and they had little rehearsal time, and been so long since they had done it, thought they did a decent job.
Next time, more gags please.

Oh, not sure who's smart idea it was to put Back to Reality on afterward. Essentially the shorter, better version of what they just did!

Oh and oh! Did love the little marching Rimmers though! :lol:
Also, while the creator was clearly based on the head bloke from Bladerunner, noticed he was a lot *ahem* bigger. Maybe just me, but he did remind me of Rob Grant. :wink:
"It's my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard."

Tenshi
Space Oddity
AC Username: Tenshi

Red Dwarf Returns

#36 Post by Tenshi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Finally got a chance to watch it. I've only seen Bladerunner once, years ago when I was young. If it hadn't been mentioned I would never have got it. I was sitting there thinking "This is familiar but I'm not sure how." :scratch: Until it was mentioned.

I enjoyed it. Liked at the end how they said "They'll think they're the real ones and we're just a tv show." Made me smile.

The northern accents made me laugh so much! I did keep expecting to see the female hologram again. Not sure why but I expected her not to be dead. :?

Still not as good as the original but a lot of fun. Nostalgic to say the least.

On another note did anyone notice the advert for Mikado? Biscut covered in chocolate....Is that the same as a Pocky?
Why yes, I am bored. How could you tell?

CastorTroy81
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#37 Post by CastorTroy81 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:55 pm

At least Craig Charles had a wee dig at himself with the mention of the Priory.

Chloe Annett looked different somehow and I mean even after the Sean Young Balderunner hair.

But yeah, I liked the mini Rimmers. :lol: Don't know how many times I've seen the "As it is written" plot being done.

Old Git
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#38 Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:44 pm

Never had a Mikado or Pocky.

Yeah, I picked on the Priory comment. Not sure why they only did Craig Charles.
Cat and Danny would have been fun - different accents, different looks.
Rimmer and Chris Barrie - could have had Barrie rant at how much he hates playing him. 20 years of playing a total git!
Kryten and Robert Llewellyn - wow, that's what I look like without the mask?!! O.O

What happened to the live episode they talked about? Looked forward to that as no way they would have got through without cocking up and laughing.

CastorTroy81
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#39 Post by CastorTroy81 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:53 pm

I was wondering about the live episode as well.

But Back to Earth was meant to be 2 parts originally as well wasn't it?

kodama
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#40 Post by kodama » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:49 pm

We had the live ep chat a few weeks ago, it got cancelled for reasons unknown. I can think of one though. Ole Bobby Llew has a bit of trouble learning his lines :lol:

I did see that ad for mikado :D

http://www.veryfunnyads.com/index.html?id=24922

Does look like a Pocky rip off to me. Or maybe it's just a local name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezaki_Glico

Howard Beale
sexXxholic
AC Username: Elfen Lied

Red Dwarf Returns

#41 Post by Howard Beale » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:32 pm

Well, I watched all three parts in one big lump today (apart from the first half of episode one which I'll catch up with tomorrow) and I must say it wasn't as awful as I'd originally thought. What I saw of episode 1 seemed very hit and miss but the gag to dud ratio improved greatly in the second episode. The bit about no one being able to store DVDs correctly was excellent and the whole geek shop section was really funny even if it was all pretty obvious gags. As for the obviousness of the whole Blade Runner references, the very fact that they were so obvious was what made them so entertaining. The aerial shot of London for one thing was brilliant as it was so stupidly in your face you couldn't help but laugh. I was hoping it would end with Rimmer on a roof in the rain doing the "tears in the rain" speech but I guess that was too much to hope for, eh? At least we got a "time to die" reference.

And on the crummy side? I agree that for once I think a laugh track would've improved things somewhat as Red Dwarf was always one of those programmes that fed off of audience reaction so some jokes did feel a little cold without it. The cop out ending was pretty disappointing too. As OG said, the story has already been done better (and without all the flab padding it out) in the previous despair squid episode. I'm not really one for "and it was all a dream" endings but I'm willing to forgive them just a little bit if they're in one half an hour episode. On the other hand, ending a three part special with a dream sequence conclusion is the very epitome of bonfire pissing. The cute litte moment at the very end back on RD was quite sweet which kind of saved it for me (I'm a sucker for soppy stuff like that) but the whole thing did just whiff faintly of "been there, done that better."

Oh, and those references to Dave were absolutely abhorrent.

"I watch you all the time on Dave! It's a wonderful light entertainment channel that's available to all freeview subscribers! It's full of quality repeats of comedy programmes you saw on BBC2 decades ago."

Fuck. Off.

Old Git
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#42 Post by Old Git » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:51 pm

Yeah, at least they never tried to act coy about ripping off Bladerunner. It was even mentioned when Lister reads out the blurb on the dvd.
I'm not sure if it did inspire the Grant Naylor entity to write Red Dwarf, but it does ring true.

Not sure what the ratings were, but seemed pretty good for the first episode.
I watched the repeats last night, one after the other, and did feel better that way. Maybe they should have had one Red Dwarf night and got it over with.

Old Git
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#43 Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Seems ratings for first episode are pretty good. Beat even terrestial shows, and now top digital show ever. :wnw:

Ratings trailed off over each episode, but expected that.

kodama
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#44 Post by kodama » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:01 pm

I think I know why it disappointed now.

Nostalgia. I remembered it being better than it was or my tastes have changed. I tried a couple of other eps that were shown that weekend and I didn't really enjoy them as much I did back then. :cry:

Old Git
Project's Bitch

Red Dwarf Returns

#45 Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:48 pm

For me the new stuff was certainly no worse than the last couple of series.

It was a scifi show as much as comedy, so there could be lulls in the humour. It was certainly never a laugh a minute show.
Certain episodes are classics, but others could be weak. I still think there were far more gooduns to weakuns.

The episode of polymorph two, emohawk, always seemed a weak idea and just a way of getting old favs back in - polymorph, Ace, Dwayne. But then the first part is quite funny, especially the GELFs. After that, it definitely dips.
Shame they didn't try some of the older episodes. Really liked that one where they lost three days.

Still recommend the dvds. Love the cast chatting, with Chris Barrie struggling to remember anything and a lot of good banter.