Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe

All things visual

Moderator: Old Git

kodama
Project's Bitch

#16 Post by kodama » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm

All you CB fans out their should know that his BB comedy horror Dead Set is running from tuesday to friday on C4 after celeb BB.

Old Git
Project's Bitch
AC Username: Prisoner KSC2 303

#17 Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 am

Oh cool, been looking out for that.
"It's my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard."

Howard Beale
sexXxholic
AC Username: Elfen Lied

#18 Post by Howard Beale » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 pm

Dead Set is a solid effort. Don't go into it thinking it'll be a laugh riot though; it's most certainly a horror film primarily. It's very enjoyable and it doesn't jam it's social commentary message too far down your throat at least. Buuuuuut...
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler: ENDING SPOILERS! LOOK AWAY MOTHER!
The ending is pretty boring though. Yes, the zombies staring blankly at the television screens is all very atmospheric and cool but I'm sick to the back teeth of "EVERYBODY DIES!!!!" endings.

Old Git
Project's Bitch

#19 Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:13 am

*avoids the spoiler, just*

Seen the first one. Quite liked it, more for the snark on BB but the zombie stuff was good too. Seeing Davina get her throat ripped out was fun, although sure she enjoyed chasing the producer more.

CastorTroy81
Project's Bitch
AC Username: gpatton81

#20 Post by CastorTroy81 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:47 am

What? The real BB isn't already full of and watched by mindless zombies?
Ebenezer Scrooge was a weak minded lightweight.
He broke after only a few hours of brainwashing!!!

kodama
Project's Bitch

#21 Post by kodama » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Liked the 1st ep. Quite atmospheric, liked the people you're supposed to like and not the housemates :D

Now onto what CB would say if it was by someone else:

Plucky female lead :roll:

Paul Greengrass camerawork :puke: I know why they did it, it was filmed in HD and therefore not lingering on the gore keeps the FX budget down and the whole "it's what you don't see that scares you".

The plot is very familiar, every Zombie movie ever treads the same path, does BB count as enough of a twist?

Like the bravery of no credits at the beginning or end. Would have been hilarious if they'd been brave enough to put it side by side with the real BB without pre announcing it.

Did anyone spot CB as a zombie? I didn't :scratch:

Old Git
Project's Bitch

#22 Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:34 pm

There's a few I think I've recognised as being other characters, but too hard to tell when they're zombie like.

Did try to see if any of the former housemates they had became zombies but it seems not. Didn't even see them get killed off. Wow, their acting must have been bad.

But yeah, most zombie movies follow the standard - everything is fine, la la la la, get to know the people, oh whoops zombies, gore gore gore, chase, kill best friend, knock off the characters one by one, often to a bleak ending.

Apart from the BB aspect it is basic zombie stuff. But then I love zombie stuff. :twisted:

Can imagine Brooker sat there one night watching BB and thinking 'what a bunch of zombies' and then :idea:
The real edge to the show has been about tv.

LeeDless
Mumbo Jumbo
AC Username: LeeDless

#23 Post by LeeDless » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 pm

Has anyone seen the unaired pilot for Charlie Brookers Newswipe yet?
It hasn't (and probably won't be) aired on TV, so it'll have to be found online.

I downloaded it yesterday, it was hilarious (I think his joke about 'doing' that five year old Chinese girl from the Olympics guarantees that it'll never make it to our TV screens).
ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~

Old Git
Project's Bitch

#24 Post by Old Git » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 am

Where is it?

Just been watching Dead Set again on Channel 4 +1. Noticed a nice slip up - reverses the van into the zombie, only she is by the door on that side. What is the zombie running at then? :roll:

Speaking of tv reviewing type thing, Sean Lock's TV Heaven, Telly Hell. Not a very well done show, but tv is an easy target and Sean is pretty funny. Really helps when you get your comedy mates on to lark about with.
Still, makes me laugh. :lol:

Old Git
Project's Bitch

#25 Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:20 am

Just seen last one of Dead Set.

Agree with Howard. Also,
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
amazed that being mauled by zombies doesn't leave you a mess, and not a slightly chewed zombie.

Most of it was good, but yeah, ending could have been from any of the Living Dead movies, and, like Kodama said, this has BB in it and nothing else new.

One other point. The producer got too annoying for too long. He went from being nastily funny to aggravating to FUCK OFF AND DIE!! SOMEONE KILL HIM!!!
For me they just kept on with him too much. Would have liked to have known more about some other characters, like the woman with the rifle who just turns up halfway through. What was her story?

To be honest, while I did enjoy watching it, considering Brooker, Mr TV Observer, was behind it I expected better. TV Producer = typically nasty. Female main character = typically plucky. Ending = typical. Also some really odd logic; the everlasting police guns for one.

Again, I'm a zombie sucker so would watch this again, but it didn't do anything Romero hasn't done already.
Also, zombies can't run. Sheesh.

kodama
Project's Bitch

#26 Post by kodama » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 pm

Blame Danny Boyle for that, I know they weren't strictly zombies, but he introduced the concept of fast flesh eaters.

Was the lead Ray Winstone's daughter? She's good, but I'd say to any director, don't give her a shouty screaming part. That hoarse voice just grates after a while.

Having seen it, it just proves what we already knew, CB is one dark cynical bastard. He even threw in a boob shot.

Old Git
Project's Bitch

#27 Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 pm

Yup, they weren't zombies. You could kill them anyway.

But when they redid dawn of the dead they made zombies fast in that. Basically zombies aren't scary anymore so they have to make them quick and aggresive.
That's misses the point though for me. This could have been so much sharper if there had been a crowd of stumbling dullards wandering about the BB house. :shock:

She certainly had the accent for it. Did she call anyone a muppet or lightweight?

kodama
Project's Bitch

#28 Post by kodama » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 pm

Yup, it was her.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1785575/

How strange that the 5 part Dead Set was three eps on C4 :?

The stumbling dullards were in the BB house, right from the beginning. 8)

Old Git
Project's Bitch

#29 Post by Old Git » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Ooooh, social wit.

Oddly I wish they had done more about those in the house. Show us more about them, develop them as people the way BB never could. Especially as in the end, they all died thanks to one of the group finding out how hated he was. Wanted to know more on him to make that really hit home.

kodama
Project's Bitch

#30 Post by kodama » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Actually the bit about Joplin letting producertard free was abit "same shit different day" too. However considering it was his first go at something big. Pretty damn good.