Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Which is the most depressing band?
Lou Reed 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Joy Division 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Cure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Smiths/Morrissey 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Nice Cave and the Bad Seeds 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alice In Chains 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nirvana 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Smashing Pumpkins 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Radiohead 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
The Verve 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Nine Inch Nails 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Portishead 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
My Chemical Romance 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Avenged Sevenfold 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Angels and Airwaves 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: so you love Emo but ? [most depressing band poll]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:35 am 
Kodama bit my bum

so you love Emo but you have some old guy (like me) who says. we didn’t have all this new fanggled Elmo when we where kids, we only had good old-fashioned grunge. If you wanted to go to you room and cry you have to play songs like “My iron lung” or the even happier “rape me”

this makes me think when were we at our most depressing in music. Its not a new thing, there the Hungarian Suicide song form the 30’s that Billy Holiyday covered. As well as other despondent tones over the years. but i think it peeked in the 90's. but don't know that may just be may age, so i'll ask you.

So what band would you play in your gloomy room, as you sit in a corner, flipping the razorblade over and over agene? (not that you going to kill your self you just think it looks cool). Or if you just hate all this downhearted stuff witch do you hate the most.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:14 pm 
Call the Cops

Yea, a subject I can get my teeth into. :D :twisted:

Okay straight off the bat, I freely admit that if I was to listen to music, the bands I like would usually but not always fall into 2 or 3 categories: either shoegazing , grunge/alternative or psychedelic music. I couldn’t care less for whatever emo is nowadays.

The thing is I don’t find any of the bands on the list depressing (well I don’t like My Chemical Romance and I’ve no idea who the last two are). The only music I find depressing is the crap that’s spewed out by all those Louis Walsh and Simon Cowell bands that are around nowadays. If all I could listen to was just the X Factor shit, then I'd take those razor blades and would start to gouge away at my wrists.

I think there’s a difference between something that’s downbeat and something that’s depressing. Slowdive are one of my favourite bands and they can be downbeat a lot of the time but for me they are uplifting.
It’s the same for a lot of the band listed above, for example The Cure were just as able to write happy pop tunes as well as the dark moody stuff. Verves first album (pre “The” added onto their name) A Storm in Heaven and first few EPs are bloody brilliant and are far from the later gloomy Britpop songs they became famous from. Listen to Slide Away or Gravity Grave or Blue and tell me that’s depressing. 8)

So... I decided not to vote. I do like the first 10 on the list, it's just that I don't find them depressing usually. Hopefully thats okay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:05 pm 
sexXxholic

Again, I don't really find any of those bands wholly depressing. Apart from, perhaps, Angels and Airwaves and Avenged Sevenfold but that's more in a depressingly awful way. Actually, scratch that; Avenged Sevenfold aren't really depressing, more laughably inept. Vomit inducingly awful. Ear bleedingly terrible. In summation? Shit. If I ever hear another song as dreadful as Seize The Day it'll be several millennia too soon. Everyone involved in the band seems to have had an irony bypass at birth and as such float around on their own cloud of po-faced and humourless rectal gasses, completely ignorant of the fact that their music is generic, forgettable sub-Guns and Roses bullshit. Similarly with Angels and Airwaves and Thomas DeLonge's mind numbing attempts to SHOW HOW SERIOUS HE IS whilst simultaneously disappearing up his own shrivelled arse. The mind boggles at the kind of individual who'd willing submit to assaulting their eardrums with A&A's own brand of dire noise making wherein they attempt to channel The Cure but without the decent song writing, vocal skill or intelligence that made The Cure listenable.

BUT I DIGRESS, I don't really find any of those bands depressing. Some of them have the odd sad song but then pretty much any musician since the dawn of time has mixed things up with the odd ballad. I still stand by the fact that The Smiths and Morrissey aren't depressing, they're melancholy. Which is a vastly different thing all together. The same goes for Radiohead - for every moody Exit Music or Motion Picture Soundtrack you've got Idioteque or Jigsaw Falling Into Place which are anything but depressing. Nick Cave too is often seen as pretty bleak stuff but songs like Into My Arms, whilst sparse and not overtly jolly in their musical arrangement, are still stunningly uplifting and joyous songs when you actually listen to them.

The problem is the majority of people only give a cursory listen to a song and, at the hint of a couple of minor notes, are swift to decide that a song's depressing. I remember when the first Coldplay album came out everyone was complaining about how dreary and sad the whole album was. This was, of course, completely ignorant of the fact that the last song is called Everything's Not Lost. Listen to the fucking lyrics for Chrissakes! It's right there guys; It's about celebrating life damnit!

Tl;dr? None of those bands are particularly depressing apart from the last two who make me cry tears of pain thanks to their awful fucking songs. And if I'm not feeling too chipper I won't stick specifically stick a morbid album on - I'll just put an album on that I love. Regardless of what it sounds like.

Last edited by Howard Beale on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:09 am 
Ow, my eye!

Location: Januarius (if someone can tell me where thats from i'll be impressed)
The most depressing thing is this piss poor excuse for a thread :roll:

You even left out J.D Woodruff and her possy(sp?) of bedwetting panzie's otherwise known as "Hawthorne Hieghts"

Anyway whats the point of this anyways, none of the little panzies are actually going to top themselves :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:39 pm 
sexXxholic

I don't think we're actually talking about anyone offing themselves, Jimmy. From the opening post I had assumed this was a discussion about depressing songs or what have you.

It's posse by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:37 pm 
Ow, my eye!

Location: Januarius (if someone can tell me where thats from i'll be impressed)
In my defense i put a (sp?) Behind the incorrect spelling for Posse, anddd it was very early in the morning so i was VERYYYYY tired

If its songs that you would find depressing then for me it would be almost ANY of the 'blues',

Just something about jazz thats depressing i guess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:51 pm 
Dr Postwhore

While bands like Nirvana and Portishead can be moderately depressing my heart belongs to the smiths for depressing music
"oh mother i can feel the soil falling over my head and as i climb into an empty bed oh well enough said"

plus i found the Smiths rather apt for the time albums such as "the queen is dead" were released
plus even in there later albums (strangeways & meat is murder) the depressing trend continues

and to include "smiley" (radio 2 reference) in this is like adding a big heap of depression to an already steeped depression, when he was in the Smiths at least they as a group had quite a pop-esq tune. on his solo works he's more depressing than ever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:14 am 
sexXxholic

There's a melodramatic edge in The Smiths and Morrissey's solo stuff I always found that makes the depressing stuff seem more humorous though. I always thought it was a very curmudgeonly, British thing with Morrissey's "woe is me" act that by taking on this very theatrical edge it highlights the ridiculousness of such overtly depressing lyrics. Even in those lyrics you quoted Rubium, that whole "oh well, enough said" ending seems like a bit of a sly wink to the audience. But maybe that's just me. There's some bleak lyrics in Morrissey's stuff but there's a lightness that certainly isn't there in something like the early Manics works. The Holy Bible isn't dreary musically but the lyrics are some of the nastiest and brutal you can find. You've got an album there that deals with child prostitution, serial killers, anorexia - the whole kit and caboodle.

And don't worry SP I wasn't getting at ye with the "posse" thing, baby. You just questioned the spelling so I felt obliged to let you know for future reference. Posse is a good word to have in your linguistic repertoire, right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:05 pm 
Dr Postwhore

Howard Beale wrote:
There's a melodramatic edge in The Smiths and Morrissey's solo stuff I always found that makes the depressing stuff seem more humorous though. I always thought it was a very curmudgeonly, British thing with Morrissey's "woe is me" act that by taking on this very theatrical edge it highlights the ridiculousness of such overtly depressing lyrics. Even in those lyrics you quoted Rubium, that whole "oh well, enough said" ending seems like a bit of a sly wink to the audience. But maybe that's just me. There's some bleak lyrics in Morrissey's stuff but there's a lightness that certainly isn't there in something like the early Manics works.

mhmm i agree that early Manics works definitely carry a depressing edge to them. however, to me Morrissey's solo lyrics always appeared just that slightly more depressing than his work with the smiths. even in his light hearted songs there seems to be a level of depressing nature...i would say he was probably the most capable of sustaining depression through his songs over his entire career where as the Manics waned over time in my opinion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:09 pm 
Project's Bitch

I remember when I first really heard of Manics it was with If You Tolerate This... And going by that and the songs that followed I referred to them as the Manic Depressives. I know I'm so original. :) So I always looked at them and Radiohead as depressing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 pm 
Call the Cops

rubium wrote:
mhmm i agree that early Manics works definitely carry a depressing edge to them. however, to me Morrissey's solo lyrics always appeared just that slightly more depressing than his work with the smiths. even in his light hearted songs there seems to be a level of depressing nature...i would say he was probably the most capable of sustaining depression through his songs over his entire career where as the Manics waned over time in my opinion

Well the main reason why you feel that way about the Manics, is probably because of Richey. He was the most creative member lyrics and image wise for the making of The Holy Bible (and joint writer for the earlier records), but since he disappeared after that albums European tour, Nicky has been the usual lyric writer. Which explains the overall change in tone. The other 3 members probably felt that they shouldn’t record something so bleak again so soon.
But its not just that album, listen to Roses In The Hospital from Gold Against the Soul.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:47 pm 
Kodama bit my bum

i never put the Manics on the list for the same reason never put Marlon Manson there. witch is that they tried to hard to be depressing. there one manics song call Dracula (i think?) where they just yell in the middle "sterilize rapists", witch really adds nothing to the song and makes no real point. its just like Manson singing "i'm a bullet that killed god". it means nothing its just there to shock. it maybe wrong to judging them off 1 line off 1 song.

but the melancholy of Morrissey has always been more heartfelt then all the sudo-politico-rantings of the manics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:35 am 
Call the Cops

Its from Archives of Pain which is on the Holy Bible. (I knew the line straight off I just couldn't put it to the song for bloody ages. I hate it when that happens. :x )

While the Manics did indulge in a lot of sloganeering in their early days (just listen to Revol or either version of Repeat from the earlier album Generation Terrorists), to say that they were trying to be depressing doesn't stand up. Richey James had depression. He harmed himself, was anorexic, and had drink and drug problems, before finally he went missing (it's presumed he most likely killed himself).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:57 pm 
sexXxholic

I'm with Nabeshin on this one. The Manics' early stuff was very much about sloganeering, a post punk aesthetic and actively courting controversy. Hence the early abuse hurling gigs and their open dislike of pretty much every band around at the time. But I always felt that Richey's lyrics came from a very personal place and (perhaps I'm wrong on this one) were very much apart from ol' upper middle-class Brian from Marylin Manson whose lyrics don't really seem informed by any personal feelings and are just there to show off how cool it is to talk about killing people and stuff.

That full line from Archives of Pain is Not punish less, rise the pain / Sterilize rapists, all I preach is extinction and taken in context it quite important to the song rather than just a throwaway shock-tactic remark. Although exactly what the song's about I'd be hard pushed to tell you! It's certainly about capital punishment (the chorus is basically a list of serial killers) but however you interpret the song it can be seen as a pro-capital punishment anthem or a deeply sarcastic jibe at how serial killers are risen to the status of celebrities by the media. Meh, Richey's a bitch to analyse.

I know what you mean about Morrissey's later stuff too Rubium. Whilst I still don't think it's massively depressing, his more recent solo stuff (like I Have Forgiven Jesus) is far more serious than things like We Hate It.. and Oiuja Board. The more he veers towards that crooner-style he loves so much the grumpier he gets, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 pm 
Dr Postwhore

Howard Beale wrote:
I know what you mean about Morrissey's later stuff too Rubium. Whilst I still don't think it's massively depressing, his more recent solo stuff (like I Have Forgiven Jesus) is far more serious than things like We Hate It.. and Oiuja Board. The more he veers towards that crooner-style he loves so much the grumpier he gets, eh?

:lol: definitely, last night i watched a documentary on the evolution of music in Manchester and while they had a very big section of The Smiths, and Morrissey it got me thinking about other bands that were overlooked for this list of depressing bands.

for example some early work of The Fall is quite depressing (if anyone can translate what Mark E. Smith is saying), also there's early Scott Walker. which is pretty depressing lyrically. and if you cover new wave. then Klaus Nomi sang two whole albums of woe set to upbeat music (makes for interesting listening) :)