Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gunbuster, Die Buster, Gunbuster 2, Gunbuster vs Diebuster?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:09 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I've recently ordered the Blu-ray of Gunbuster 2 - Die Buster since it was cheap and I wanted to test out Blu-ray.

But now I'm confused about what this series actually is. I checked on ANN and it mentions a "Gunbuster vs Diebuster Movie", "Gunbuster OVA", and "Gunbuster 2 OVA". So I think I've worked out that "Gunbuster 2" and "Die Buster" are the same thing - a 6 episode OVA each lasting 30 mins. But when I look at the runtime of this Blu-ray it says 96 mins, which is about 3 episodes. So what I'm asking is: Is this Blu-ray the same as the 6 episode OVA "Die Buster" mentioned on ANN or is it something else?

Another question I have is: do I need to see the first Gunbuster to understand this second one, or is it watchable as a standalone OVA?

Thanks,

BT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:43 pm 
Project's Bitch

The gunbuster 2 DVD was 2 discs. Probably best to watch the original first, but don't bother with the Bluray as its a pretty lame conversion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:01 pm 
Dr Postwhore

That Blu-Ray is the compilation movie of Diebuster (or Gunbuster 2 here). Along with the original Gunbuster, it had it's six episodes cut into a theatrical version, as part of the Gunbuster vs Diebuster - The Gattai! cinema release in Japan. Both movies are also available together on DVD and in a Blu-Ray set.

As complilation movies go it's not bad, certainly Diebuster benefits as it removes a lot of the crap from the first three episodes of the OVA. Bar a few references you don't really need to have seen Gunbuster, in order to enjoy Diebuster.

Personally, you would of been better off buying the R1 DVD release of Gunbuster and enjoying all six episodes in it's glory, rather than going for a compilation movie of a rather average sequel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:04 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

Well today the Gunbuster 2 Blu-ray fell through my door, and instead of working on my project I decided to watch this instead. After fighting with Cyberlink Power DVD I managed to get an update that allows me to play Blu-ray discs.

The first thing that struck me was the way all the letters stood out. Normally in DVDs they sort of "blur" into the background. Then the usual copyright stuff, which can't be skipped! It then asked me "what language", so I'm moving my mouse around clicking "English", but nothing happens. Doh, you need to input using the keyboard. Then I'm welcomed by a 5 minute "Intermission", which I watched :shock: .

The screen goes black (wait, no title menu?), there's rustling from the side speakers and a dog is displayed sleeping. There's then a girl, all wrapped up, outside in the snow who is trying to run off. She's stopped as the dog wakes up and it jumps on her. The dog is swiftly silenced and then the adventure begins.

I found that overall the story made sense as a standalone film. There were points where it felt rushed, or where it was jumping all over the place. Oh, and new characters suddenly popping up as if they're important. You hardly get to know any names, I can only recall 2 of them. I wonder if the original OVAs fill in these gaps and have better pacing.

The visuals for this I thought were great. I read reviews where people said it was "grainy on the Blu-ray version" or "it's just like a DVD". Well I have to strongly disagree with that. No way could a regular DVD output such a high quality picture at this resolution (1920x1060). Also the frame rate is a lot higher for Blu-rays. If this was a DVD all the flashing, explosions, fast moving effects would have been stuttering or looking choppy. You would also see minor artifacting on fast moving pictures with a DVD.

The sound was a bit disappointing I felt for a HD release. I would have expected 7.1 SS support, but was only given 5.1 True HD. Still, it gets mapped to 7.1 but it's not the same a true 7.1 support. The sound effects and music helped add excitement to the adventure, and the use of Bass made the explosions and robot fights be felt. But it wasn't "breath taking", like the Saikano DVDs.

One missing feature, that is quite annoying, is "Resume for last scene". If you press Stop it goes right back to the start next time you try to resume playback. There was a title menu, but it only appeared once I finished watching. However if you press the "Title" button it will take you to that screen which allows you to scene select and do all the usual DVD stuff.

Overall I enjoyed this movie. I didn't feel "left out" because I've not seen the original or first movie. The Blu-ray presentation was visually stunning, however the sound could have been better. For my first Blu-ray experience, I must say I'm happy. And the box is cool: with it's see-though blue and shiny silver "Blu-Ray" logo, giving off a "I'm the future" vibe. Now I need to find the first movie :shifty: .

(I was going to post pictures, but at 1920x1060 JPEGs save as 1MB+, so I can't upload them)

BT