Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ADV in trouble?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:12 pm 
Call the Cops

Project-2501 wrote:
It was curtains when most of their good licenses were revoked. This is just the final red tape to wrap up ADV. Shame as I did like the old swoopy ADV intro.

Yeah, it was pretty cool.
What happens to the titles ADV didn't transfer to other companies, will they just cease to be in English forever, or could any company now approach the original Japanese companies to try and acquire the license? (Which if it is the case, they'd have to redub right?)

I never got a chance to get Evangelion or Cromartie High School on DVD...better see what I can dig up...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:15 pm 
Project's Bitch

Looks like everything has been transferred to another company (run by ex-ADV staff) so it will continue. Basically looks like they are shedding ADV and its debts and starting fresh so to speak.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 pm 
Project's Bitch

Apart from the debt bit, which is being transferred too :shock: They seem to be dumping ADV as a parent company and one of the bossmen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:32 pm 
Project's Bitch

Ditching the crappy bosses ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:18 pm 
Project's Bitch

Someone at ANN decided to make things a little clearer.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2009-09-01/what-happening-with-adv-films

Financial shenanigans ahoy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:29 pm 
Call the Cops

Bah...they didn't state anything about the recent additions ADV had. Including that one Irish-named anime I quite like. :x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:49 pm 
Project's Bitch

Supposedly everything will just carry on as normal probably with stickers covering up the ADV logos. We shall see.

If you're paranoid, you could buy the R1 release.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:13 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

The Clannad DVDs have no ADV marks on them. Sentai Filmworks holds the license, and since there is no mention of Sentai Filmworks closing down it's safe to assume Clannad will be unaffected.

And Clannad After Story vol1 still looks set for its October release.

I see this ADV news as insignificant, merely the closing down of "ADV films" as a brand.

BT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:27 pm 
Call the Cops

I don't think I have anything that can play R1 DVDs. I don't think my DVD player can although I tried region-unlocking it, I don't have any R1 DVDs to see if it worked anyway. I don't know about my laptop or my 360 either...Hmm... :?

I just don't want to waste money, is all... :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:59 am 
Kodama bit my bum

To copy paste something I posted on the Brittney Karbowski Fangroup yesterday:

Quote:
I saw this news yesterday, but I really should have responded sooner. Here's what we know:

- A.D. Vision will cease to trade, and it's assets have been split between several companies.
- SXION23 (Section 23 Films) takes control of the distribution side of the business.
- Vakyrie Media Partners takes control of The Anime Network.
- AEsir Holdings takes ownership in all of ADVs former licences.
- Seraphim Studios takes ownership of Amusement Park Media, the production studios.

In addition to these, remember that there is also Switchblade and Sentai, the live action and anime companies respectively. ADV hasn't released anything new under the ADV name in a long time, instead doing so under the Sentai Filmworks label.

Looking at the situation for actors in the Houston area - they have had nearly two years of minimal dubbing in the city, so things wont change on that aspect. And actually the fact that they have transfered the recording studio out of AD Vision could be a good thing, it shows that they still have a use for the studio rather than selling it off.

Us fans shouldn't really notice any major difference to how things have been in the last few years. The only real differences is that instead of "ADV Films", we'll see titles with "Sentai Filmworks" on the packaging, and perhaps some with either "AEsir" or "Section 23 Films" there too. A good majority of the staff that were employed by ADV remain within one of the new companies, and the people in charge are pretty much the same. It's just a change of name for financial reasons.

For people who don't realise why everything is going on, cutting a long story short, ADV received an investment a few years ago from a company called Sojitz. They gained a 20% share in A.D. Vision, and in return they provided finance for the company and created a new company to house the licences that they aquired for ADV. Titles such as Kanon, 5cm/s, Welcome to the NHK, Gurren Lagann, and many more were housed within this company, and that was where things went sour.

For some reason, and we likely will never understand why, Sojitz disagreed with the way that ADV did business. It could be because ADV weren't extracting the full profit from some items, instead giving fans more value for a higher quality product, but we'll never know the details so it isn't worth discussing. The relationship soured, and Sojitz sold their 20% share and pulled out of the deal. They took with them pretty much every anime ADV had licenced in the last two years, and left ADV in a bad position. This announcement is the fallout from that, and they've decided to sacrifice the ADV brand which has lasted for seventeen years, and created these new labels without the stigma of an unhelpful shareholder...

It's shocking news, to see headlines on Anime News Network such as ADV Films Shuts Down is something nobody wanted to see, but looking at it from a calm standpoint it could actually be good news. We have removed the last of the dead weight from the Sojitz fallout, and now they are ready to move forward again. Sure, they're still releasing sub only anime right now, but the fact that Amusement Park Media remains around is proof that they haven't given up their anime dubbing vision.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:03 am 
Project's Bitch

So did Sojitz sell their stake or not? The whole thing makes more sense if Sojitz had retained their share, as this would make life very awkward for ADV and explain the splintering away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:26 am 
Kodama bit my bum

We don't know. If anything, Sojitz being a partner still would cause problems with splintering the company.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:54 am 
Project's Bitch

That deal will haunt them for a long time...