Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mai Mai Miracle
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:53 pm 
Project's Bitch

The second film I saw at the Barbican this week. This film was only released in Japan on the 21st of Nov, so 5 says before it was shown in the UK!!

Thankfully the film stock was much cleaner than Ponyo and the subtitles were much clearer :)

Mai Mai Miracle comes from Studio Madhouse and director Sunao Katabuchi (Black Lagoon, Sherlock Hound, Kiki's Delivery Service) so you're expecting something pretty good, and it delivers.

Again the film was introduced by Helen Mccarthy and its worth mentioning a few of her comments about the culture in Japan at the time the film is set. The film is set in 1955 and follows a 9 year old girl Shinko. This makes Shinko a 'post war' baby. Its also worth noting that from the end of WW2 until the early 50's Japan was effectively under American occupation, under which a lot of Japan's history, particularly anything relating to its miliraty and political history was effectively censored by the Americans. So by 1955 the country is finally starting to recover from the post-war poverty and people are starting to re-discover the history of their country once more.

Shinko lives in a small town that was formerly the capital of the Suo province some 1000 years earlier. She loves being told stories of life in those times and how many features in the town (such as the rivers that have right angle corners) date back to the same period. A city girl called Kiiko transfers to Shinko's school and they quickly become friends. Together they imagine what life for a girl their age would have been like 1000 years ago as well as facing the trials and tribulations of day to day life in Japan.

This is a more mature themed film compared to Ponyo hence the 12A cert. It deals with death and suicide so not so suited to little kids.

There are hints of The girl who leapt through time and Millennium Actress in there as well. All in all a very good movie. I hope this gets a DVD release real soon!

I give Mai Mai Miracle 5 kitties :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:40 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

This one sounds interesting, both from what was said here and ANUK. I'll be sure to keep a look out for a DVD/BD release.

BT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:48 pm 
Project's Bitch

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get licensed here.