Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ponyo (on the cliff (by the sea))
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 pm 
Project's Bitch

Saw Ponyo at the Barbican this week so here is a quick rundown.

This is a typical Miyazaki/Ghibli film. It ticks all the boxes when it comes to pure escapism. Imagine a mix of Totoro and Howl's and a touch of LSD for good measure. This is a film anyone from 5 to 50 and beyond can enjoy. As Helen McCarthy commented prior to the film 'Its Totoro but with the addition of 20 years more film making experience'.

The basic plot is that Sosuke (5 year old boy) lives with his mother in a house on a cliff and one morning he finds a fish stuck in a glass jar on the beach by the cliff. He rescues the fish and calls it Ponyo and swears to protect it. (you can see where the title comes from :)) Ponyo's father (a mad proff type who lives in a bubble under the sea and has a boat with flippers :scratch: ) doesn't want his daughter to meet humans as he thinks they are destroying the sea. He manages to recapture Ponyo but Ponyo is not happy and announces that she loves Sosuke and that she will use her magic to turn into a girl and return to the land.

Anyway, she escapes and uses her magic which causes all kinds of havoc and floods Sosuke's town. To solve this Ponyo has to give up her magic powers but if Sosuke can love Ponyo for her true self then Ponyo can turn back into a little girl again and all will be well.

The film had pretty much the whole audience laughing, aww-ing and clapping. This so makes up for letting Goro do Earthsea. Unusually I did not spot any Totoros in the film. Often you see a toy one in the background somewhere.

OK, the bad points... there were none with the content of the film itself but the film was in pretty bad shape. They did say before hand that the first reel had some scratches. Looked more like it had been sanded in some places. OOPS! Also the subtitles were in quite a fine font with a very thin border which meant on a light background they were VERY hard to read from where I was sitting.

I hope they show Ponyo at a sensible number of cinemas, its really worth going to see. Don't worry too much about the dub, yes its got Maaaaaatt Daaaaaamon in it but as a fairly minor role.

We don't have a Totoro smiley so I'll have to give Ponyo 5 kitties :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:56 am 
Sex Pest

Damon's sick, the only reason Parker and Stone ripped on him was because his doll came out looking retarded.

Reckon it'd lose quality on DVD? Not sure whether to wait till I get a Blu-Ray capable machine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:05 pm 
Project's Bitch

Optimum's DVDs are pretty good. I know there is talk of them releasing Ghibli films on bluray but I don't think its any time soon.

Also they still use pretty standard techniques for creating the animation so going bluray isn't going to look REALLY good. The heavily CG anime is the only stuff to make bluray really worthwhile.