Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Roostophe's Review: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 pm 
Call the Cops

Roostophe's Review: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Upon recommendation of a friend, and anime lover, I decided to have a shufty at The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

The story is told by a lad named Kyon, who is starting at a new high school. When he was younger, he dreamed about Espers, time travellers and aliens. But he gave up on those fantasies during middle school, and accepted that an ordinary life was heading his way as he started high school.

However, in his new form group; an eccentric, yet beautiful girl named Haruhi Suzumiya sits behind Kyon. She is known by her classmates for being unpredictable and crazy, and her declaration for her interest in espers, time travellers and aliens, as well as having no time for 'ordinary' humans, makes her even less approachable to her peers.
Kyon begins to observe Haruhi's behaviour, as well as talking to her whenever they are sat in their form room. He notices how she joins every extra-curricular school club, and excels at practically all of them, but leaves every single group due to boredom. It is from this that Kyon makes a small suggestion that Haruhi founds her own club. Which she decides to do, but not before forcing Kyon into joining it as well.

Haruhi declares herself leader, and takes a random classroom as where this fledgling club will meet up. However, the Literary Club already uses the room, but the Literary Club had only one member; Yuki Nagato, a quiet girl who does nothing but read. But Yuki decides to join the club.
Later, two more people join the club: Mikuru Asahina, a very beautiful girl with a large bosom, who was 'voluntarily arrested' by Haruhi on her way to her usual club. And Itsuki Koizumi, a transfer student who is always seen with a happy grin on his face.
The club is named the S.O.S. Brigade, which stands for "Spreading excitement all Over the world with the Haruhi Suzumiya Brigade". Its goal is to find espers, time travellers and aliens, and hang out with them.

Unbeknownst to Haruhi, there are such types in the club.

Yuki, Mikuru and Itsuki reveal themselves to Kyon, who is the only 'ordinary' human, as it is revealed there is much more to Haruhi than meets the eye.

Roostophe's Reaction:

I didn't really know what to expect with this, but I had heard good things about it, as well as my friend's enthusiatic reaction to this series.

I was pleasantly surprised by the series. Being a little bit eccentric myself, and being seen as some sort of outcast to my classmates, meant that I could sort of relate to Haruhi. But I could also relate to Kyon, for his sarcastic wit, and adolescent feelings towards Mikuru.

Every episode was as good as each other. The visuals remained fantastic throughout, and I loved the story. As well as every character. (Which leads me to say that Xephon's post regarding Haruhi in the characters you'd like to kill thread was a bit harsh...)

I'm being rushed here, so I'll just say this:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has become my favourite anime!

You probably won't think that way about it as I do, but you know, meh.