Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Resident Evil: Degeneration
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:43 pm 
sexXxholic

Because I'm easily bored at work here's a review of Resident Evil: Degeneration. It's the DVD version and I watched it with the English language track. Because there ain't no way I'm having Resident Evil in Japanese.

I really like Resident Evil Degeneration. I like the fact that Leon says exactly the same thing to Claire as he does at the start of Resident Evil 2. I like the fact that the G Virus gets given a proper airing considering it’s been forgotten about ever since Resident Evil: Dead Aim on the PS2. I like the fact that Hunnigan from Resident Evil 4 is in it. In short, I like it because I’m a dribbling Resident Evil fanboy. The revealing of which pretty much sucks any kind of authority or objectivity out of this review. Y’see, when Advent Children came out exactly, ooh, some years ago I thought it looked lovely but I absolutely detested its piss-trickle narrative flow. It was abhorrent fanwank, designed specifically to appeal to the fat male nerds who think dressing up as Sephiroth makes them look cool or the fat female nerds who think that dressing up like Tifa makes them in some way attractive (correct answer: it doesn’t). Fast forward to Resident Evil Degeneration - Capcom feed me a similar jumbo-sized bucket of fanwank and I happily devour it; squealing joyously like the kind of disturbing anime fans that make me not want to go to conventions.

My crap similies aside; what do the film be like? Looks wise it’s all rather lovely. The characters aren’t quite Advent Children CG excellence but they sit quite happily in the Uncanny Valley and make you sufficiently uncomfortable and amazed in equal measure. The animation is excellent, largely due to the fact that everything’s been motion captured so the characters display a wealth of twitches and mannerisms that make you forget for the tiniest moment that you’re watching a cartoon. I say the tiniest moment because the moment you look at their face and notice their hollow doll-like eyes and enormous fish lips the illusion of realism is somewhat quashed. That and one of the main characters suddenly gains possession of a horrendously large pair of breasts at the film’s climax. This is due, I’d assume, not to one of Umbrella’s viruses but rather that the character designer is Japanese and is a man. Ergo, jugs ahoy.

Things don’t look too much better “under the hood” to use some Tim Westwood style terminology. The script is laughable, cliché ridden nonsense littered with expositionary scenes where the characters stand around and talk about their past or recap key plot points so the hard of thinking in the audience get a chance to catch up. To their credit, the voice actors do a solid enough job with the material given with Crispin Freeman doing his campy Englishman bit and Steve Blum doing his grizzled-tough-guy-who-gets-offed-in-the-first-half-hour shtick, both of which are always welcome. The DVD extras suggest that pretty much everyone involved knew it was schlocky horror nonsense and treated it as the bit of disposable fun it so obviously is. The less said about the story itself the better as, again, it's generic action film fodder with a couple of zombies and some conspiracy theory window dressing.

Buuuuut... I love it. The dialogue may be stilted and unrealistic but this is coming from the series that gave us Jill: “the master of unlocking.” If RE had good dialogue there'd be something amiss. There’s too few zombies or scares for it to be a viable horror film and there’s too many references to the videogames for it to stand as a quality film in its own right. So what is it then? It’s Capcom’s over extravagant advert for Resident Evil 5; a glorified pre-credits cut scene. And as such only fans of the Resident Evil series will really elicit any kind of enjoyment from RE: Degeneration. If, like me, you are a fan though it's bloody good, empty headed fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:39 pm 
Project's Bitch

Glad to see that even harden, miserable cynics can go doey eyed over some pile of cack.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:46 pm 
sexXxholic

Beneath this cold, hard exterior lies a gooey, lovely-dovey centre.

Like a bunny in a YF-21.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 pm 
Mew Mew's apprentice

I am not a Resident Evil fanboy, but i loved it , it's great the fact it works in with the game's , i was given a crash corse in RE while watching it the first time i saw it, ( how Will Farmer fitted into all of it ).

But all in all its a great bit of Zombie filled film and i say everyone sould see it.