Fake AC MkII

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Roostophe's Review - Elfen Lied
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:36 pm 
Call the Cops

Let's make use of this review board, then.

Roostophe's Review - Elfen Lied

Well, this review is exclusively for Fake AC. So if you want to make a pop at the Spammer with the same name, then you can in your comment. He won't read it. *heh*

The story is based around the Diclonius, a species of evolved human that have two cat-ear like horns and vectors, which are telekinetically controlled arms that move at a frequency to the point in which they become transparent, and also have the power to manipulate objects within their range.

Diclonius are being held for storage in a facility off the coast of Kamakura in Kanagawa, south of the city of Yokohama, held by the scientist Kurama. The first of the Diclonius race, a teenage girl named by the staff as "Lucy," escapes the factory naked (except for a metal helmet encasing her head) and, using her vectors to deflect gunfire, effortlessly kills any security guard unfortunate enough to come get in her way.
However, as she makes her way out of the facility, she is shot in the side of the head by an unnamed sniper armed with a .50 caliber rifle, breaking her metal helmet and causing her to fall into the sea.

The next morning, Kohta, a university-age school student, is moving to Kamakura to study in a university where he is reunited with his cousin Yuka. He encounters the Diclonius on a beach in the area, still naked and brain damaged from the bullet wound, only capable of saying the word "Nyu." Kohta and Yuka decide to take her with them, naming her "Nyu" as a result.

The homeless girl Mayu and her dog encounter Nyu, where she and Kohta come across a task force sent by Kurama to find Nyu, led by the violent soldier Bando, and Nana, another Diclonius, to hunt her down. However, Lucy and her cold characteristics have not yet faded away; whenever she hits her head or when she is confronted with violence, she reverts to her sadistic side, and makes transitions between her two personalities throughout the series.

Roostophe's Reaction:

Violence! Gore! Constant female nudity! ZOMG! I shouldn't be watching this!

^ That was probably the wussy version of me's reaction, having watched the infamous first seven minutes of episode 1. From the shot of the severed arm on the floor, to seeing Lucy fall into the sea, we are treated to violent and gruesome scenes that included loads of security guards, and an innocent and rather sweet woman who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, getting their heads and limbs ripped off by a girl, wearing nothing but a strange helmet, walking through some sort of facility.

I know some people who were deterred from watching Elfen Lied due to the amount of violence in this show, as there is a lot of it. But I'm not a wuss when it comes to violent films/telly shows, so I was able to watch it all.

Despite the gruesome violence, and the topics that featured in this, from incest to child rape to the bludgeoning of a poor puppy, the story to this series was good and rather well-written.

The violence in this series could be quite shocking, seeing a young child die in rather a terrible way made me feel a bit cold. And some of the deaths came as completely unexpected and out of the blue, making you jump in the process.

But I carried on watching it all, as I've got a strong stomach and an age that was suitable to view this series. (Yeah, I'm 18!)

The characters sorta came into their own in the likeness stakes. Kota and Yuka, who despite being a bit stupid, were okay. Mayu and Nana were sound in their own way, perhaps because they could be seen as sweet young girls, despite Nana being a Diclonius.

And then I come to Lucy/Nyu.
It's hard not to love Nyu. Her childlike-innocence (which includes running about naked, ahem) and kind intentions were a complete contrast to Lucy. Who, while being a violent killer who despises humanity, was still a good character that I couldn't hate.

The story and relationship with the characters was well done. The visuals were great. And the series ended with an ending that was...

Well, then ending was just amazing! Amazing to the point that if Sky's "50 Greatest TV Endings" included anime, EL's ending would definitely have been in the top 10. (Probably beaten only by Blackadder, in my opinion.)

So yes. I really, really enjoyed Elfen Lied. It's a great series that anyone with a strong stomach, and a bloodthirsty side, should watch.

And if anyone says that anime is just for kids, then this might just be the one anime to show them to make them think otherwise.

ROOSTOPHE'S RATING:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9 Thumbs up!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:15 pm 
SPARTA!!!!!

Very nice review Roo, if you don't mind I'm just going to add some of my thoughts on the series here as well.

Elfen Lied covers a lot of heavy subjects: psychological trauma, child abuse, fear of those who are different, the need to control, cruelty and neonaticide.
It's also extremely violent, not just in the physical sense but psychologically too, it's not pleasant viewing.
In the episode when Mayu told her back story. I did find the normal Nyu based sexual humour a bit tasteless, as it was dealing with such a sensitive issue.

There's a lot about karma and responsibility, stressing you need to be aware of the consequences of your actions. Duality is also a strong theme through out the whole series as well, with people not being what they seem at face value.

Another important aspect of the series is love and relationships particularly those of Kohta and Nyu/Lucy and Mayu and Nana, particularly the latter which brings innocence and humour to such a dark storyline.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:33 pm 
Project's Bitch

Very good review. Agree on a lot of it. Personally, though, I wasn't that taken with the series. I watched it the other weekend and the violence was fine for me (probably says a lot about me) but it was the childish and dumb stuff that got on my nerves.
I was stunned at how often the soldiers tried shooting in order to kill a diclonius. Never anything else.
I did like the fact there was this dark secret the boy had forgotten and how it all tied in, yet also felt, wow, bit convenient that you met up again years later.

I did like the soldier bloke a lot. Very nasty, yet a bit comical too. Liked when he gave the girl his phone number in case she needed help, then threatened her to find out where Lucy was, so she waved the number in his face. 'I'm in a tight spot. Can you help?'

I had watched Ergo Proxy recently too, which I felt was much more intriguing and walekd the line between serious and silly much better. So maybe that effected my enjoyment of this series.
Was a very strong opening though. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:16 pm 
Call the Cops

Cheers for your thoughts.

I have to admit, this review was a little rushed. I was going to add more to it, but I had to bugger off somewhere. (Which has often been the case with writing reviews for some reason.)

So...yeah. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:49 am 
Call the Cops

*WARNING - SPOILER ALERT!*

Anime is only for kids? I have a great idea to change their minds:
'Starting on Nick Jr and CBeebies from 4pm every day: Elfen Lied'

Seriously, this ranks in my top 3 anime ever. I find it annoying when people can't look beyond the gore and the nudity, it has a really in-depth, emotional plot for such a short series. Every episode had be on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what would happen next.

I love how at the start of the series, Lucy is portrayed as a psychopathic killer, however as the series progresses you really get to see her human side, and understand why she is who she is (and the OVA explains it even more).

I love how this series touched on several touchy subjects like child rape, rape and incest, it adds more depth to it all.

This series had an amazing musical score, no matter how many times they played variations of Lilium in the series, it was always spectacular.

The final episode for me definatly sets this aside from most anime, and most TV shows. The ending isn't a happy handing, sure you get that 'everything is back to normal, happy happy' scene at the end, but the actual events of that episode are just amazing. Especially the climatic scenes between Kurama and Mariko (my favourite scene in the whole series, no matter how many times I watch it, it is so perfect in every way) and the scene between Kohta and Lucy, and how they know they love eachother, but cannot be together.

The animation in this series is just fantastic, and I feel is only beaten by Studio Ghibli films, which must be incredibly high budget.

Elfen Lied is the meaning of a perfect series. Extremely entertaining, has you at your seat, beautiful characters, deep plot, and it can give nightmares to younger siblings (Chavs are so gangsta they can go out and knife people, but they can't see men being torn in half)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:26 am 
Dr Postwhore

I heard this was cut when it was on Anime Network.

My Bunny is stuck on another site!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:08 am 
Mumbo Jumbo

Only episode 5 was. They more heavily edited This Ugly Yet Beautiful World and all of the series in the 8 to 9 timeslots.
When it comes to Anime on TV the only thing I insist upon is that the channel doesn't edit the shows, so as soon as Anime Central launched I dropped AN like a bag of bricks.

ぴぴるぴるぴぴるぴ~