Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below

Anime reviews
Project-2501
Project's Bitch

#1 Post by Project-2501 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:41 pm

Just got back from London where I saw Makoto Shinkai's latest flick.

I have to say its quite different to his previous works. Gone is the sci-fi and gone is the long drawn out sad ending love story. The story is quite fast paced, good action and takes place over a much shorter timeframe than the last 3 films. And my word it oozes influence from Ghibli... characters, landscapes etc.. Even the way the character's hair ruffles when they get mad.

Imagine Nausicaa and Mononoke mixed up with a hint of Earthsea and Laputa for good measure. Is this a bad thing? No, so long as he keeps the stories original and doesn't let the influence take over completely.

Better than 5cm/sec, IMO yes. Better than Place Promised? Hmm.. tough one.

Still, I give Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below 5 kitties :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

I do hope this is picked up in the UK on bluray release. I'd also like to see Mai Mai Miracle get a release over here. I saw that at the Barbican a couple of years back.
I am the project code named two-five-zero-one, The Puppet Master

kodama
Project's Bitch

#2 Post by kodama » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:34 pm

I saw it too, I'm wavering slightly, it is beautiful and more complete than most of his previous work but there was something about the pacing that didn't quite work for me. None the less still good.

EDIT: Oh and there is a moment where they couldn't get a horse animated properly.

CastorTroy81
Project's Bitch
AC Username: gpatton81

#3 Post by CastorTroy81 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Saw this recently and it felt like they planned on making it a tv series but then part of the way through realised it was actually gonna be a movie so rushed the ending.

Was grand for what it was but don't think I'd rush to watch again. Was a long film that felt like a long film. Or even felt like a book adaptation of a long book compressed into a single film.
Ebenezer Scrooge was a weak minded lightweight.
He broke after only a few hours of brainwashing!!!