HOW MUCH???????
11%

Total votes: 18

Blue Orchid
Dr Postwhore
AC Username: Evermist

University

#16 Post by Blue Orchid » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Student nurse, should be going back to my dip 2nd year in September at Plymouth. Man this year has been a fiasco.

Kohigh_Mathy
Motoko's Bitch
AC Username: Kohigh_Mathy

University

#17 Post by Kohigh_Mathy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:16 pm

In my experience Everyone I know who went to uni regrets going & everyone who didn’t regrets not going.
at the end of the day its you the individual who needs to make that choice, Try not to be put off by people saying it’s a waste of time & make shore your not being pressured into it bye people (Usually your relatives) who say you have to get a degree because other wise you’ll be treaded as scum for the rest of your working life.

If you wish to follow you dream of becoming a doctor, layer, accountant, veterinarian or surgeon then really the question is a no brainier go to Uni. (Before anyone puts me right I know to follow a medical career then you have to go to med school but practically the same thing)
I know many, many people who never went to uni & have all ended up running there own business & doing bloody well from it. (Given most of them are ether Musicians or Artist)
The truth is that its really all down to you, & what you want out of life. Do you want a standard 5-9 desk job with a company benefits, weekends off & 21 days annual leave? If the answer is yes then go to uni its pretty much a doorway to that life if you pass your chosen course.
But if you want to make more of life & have a job you actually care about, then as long as you have the determination & the drive then Uni shouldn’t (& in some cases doesn’t) really matter. Yes it can help it can give you some insight into the way the world work. (I stress the word SOME as nothing really preps you for working life) & can introduce you to some fantastic people. (& the Uni student Life Style is brilliant lets be honest) But that really where the Uni train stops.
For the People of this country that want to do more than just conform, think hard about uni.

For those of you who are interested I did go to uni, I studied fine art & I passed. I don’t regret it but I hated all three years.

Enki
Kodama bit my bum

University

#18 Post by Enki » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Interesting points of view there, Kohigh. I do hear more and more that most people are unsatisfied with the amount of time/money that is invested into getting through University. Still, as you said, it does depend on what you want out of it, whether it is needed and whether it would actually benefit you in the end.

Me personally, I'm in my second (technically third) year of University. I have done a year of BA (Hons) Computer and Video Games studies and I am now going into the second year of BA (Hons) Film and Television in September. In truth I'm in it not so much for the degree itself but for the fact that the Scholarships that I wish to apply for to go to learn/work in Japan require a degree in any subject other than Japanese Studies.

Of course, I still picked a course that I am interested in and both that I have studied in are relevant to the job that I wish to pursue after University. After all, I'm not mad enough to work for a degree for years in a subject I didn't care about just to achieve it. O'course since it is the Scholarship I am working towards it does make the study time of the University course itself at times a bit tiresome. Still, as said, at least it is in a subject that I enjoy and will aid me in my future job acquisitions.

Fun though, knowing I'll be about £12.000/£15.000 in debt after. On a plus side, my boss has not paid his student loan back due to his income for more than 8 years! Not quite sure I want to be a manager for Blockbusters for the rest of my life to escape paying though... no offence to him, o'course!

Kohigh_Mathy
Motoko's Bitch
AC Username: Kohigh_Mathy

University

#19 Post by Kohigh_Mathy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:18 pm

End of the day its all down to yourself, you & no one else, if you’re a uni person you’ll probably love it & you’ll probably succeed in the carrier you want. I just think to much emphasis is put on Uni theses days. A friend of mines mother couldn’t believe that another of my friends runs her own business, lives with the partner & is doing incredibly well for herself & she never when to uni. She was even more stunted when another of our friend came back from uni degree in hand & has been on the dole ever since. I think that it illustrates my point perfectly one is & always has been hardworking & very driven to succeed no matter what, the other (Although I love the guy to pieces) is week willed & just not bothered about anything.

Someone once said to me that they thought uni was pointless because they take you in for three/four years, teach you everything they can about the profession your wish to follow. & at the end of it you find yourself a job & you use about 1% of the things that you spent the last three/four year learning.

Personally I’ve been toying with the idea of doing my masters before I’m to old, more to give me a bit of a career brake as I’ve been flogging the HR horse for about 6 years its not going to take me anywhere other than middle management.

BT
Mew Mew's apprentice
AC Username: BT

University

#20 Post by BT » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm

I really enjoy my course. I don't go for the parties, meeting new people, the "usual" stuff; I go because I want to learn about Engineering, Science and Maths. It's great being able to see how all the "useless junk" you learn at high school as a real physical value and means something. Just three more years to go then I can choose to stay on and do a PhD/research (which is what most foreign students do at our uni) or go out and work for a company (which is what most UK students do).

I'm hoping to do Power Engineering later in my course when we get to choose between High Voltage and Low Voltage (or other stuff) because I want to help tackle the impending drain on natural resources. There are people in my course who are just there for the nights out, and it's sad to say most are from Scotland; but then there are others who really want to be Engineers most of which are foreign students or mature students.

However I do agree that most of my friends from high school have felt the same way as you described above. They went to Uni to do stuff like Computer Science, Geography, and Politics. However they all hate it and most of them have dropped out now or switched course.

*edit*
I also think that schools don't do enough (well the one I went to) to tell people their options. Most people in my year stayed for the full 6 years, "going with the flow", and went on to uni because they were told to. If we were given more guidance on our options it would have been better I think. I should have went to uni at the end of my 5th year (looking back now), but because I didn't know what my options were I stayed on for the final year. It also didn't help that noone in my family has ever been to uni so it was all a new experience (my mum keeps asking if we get a parents night :lol: ).

BT

kodama
Project's Bitch

University

#21 Post by kodama » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:23 pm

I don't know if the immense cost of going to Uni has changed the dynamics, but I enjoyed Uni. I regret not making slightly more of it, but that's hindsight for you. :roll:

None of my friends regretted Uni either, some benefited from having a degree, others didn't. I certainly haven't benefited from having mine, at least in terms of getting a good job. It gave me a good grounding in IT, but I spent a year unemployed, a year trying to go it alone and the last 8 years running a company of 2 (now 1). I'm not well paid or enormously happy but I wouldn't change my decision to go to Uni, ever.

Dr OcCuLt
Kodama bit my bum
AC Username: Dr OcCuLt

University

#22 Post by Dr OcCuLt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:54 am

uni was the best 3 year i ever wasted. i think i wasted it as i can't remember that must. :drunk:

still i think i did lot better then some of other people i know. i got to the last year of my degree were most people dropped out in first year.

But life is what you make of it. Not what a bit of paper says. even if its form oxford or westen idoh state.

Nabeshin
Call the Cops
AC Username: Nabeshin

University

#23 Post by Nabeshin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:06 pm

I was down in W.I.T. in Waterford for about 4 years (well 5 'cause of bloody conveyancing and company law :el: )

I cant really say I enjoyed the experience as everyone who I made friends with dropped out after the first year and my friends from home dropped out in second year. (I guess thats what happens if you hang out with slackers, stoners and alcoholics) :wink: But anyway I stuck it out and got my BA (Hons) in Legal Studies with Business.
On The Desperate Edge Of Now.

BT
Mew Mew's apprentice
AC Username: BT

University

#24 Post by BT » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:20 pm

That's almost the exact same as what has happened at uni with me Nabeshin :lol: . The people I made friends with in 1st year at uni have dropped out; and the friends from school have just started giving up (end of 2nd year now). We lost about 50% of our class by the end of 1st year; and we have been told they expect another 50% to disappear after 2nd year. Will need to wait and see how many remain when I return for 3rd year in September.

BT

Nabeshin
Call the Cops
AC Username: Nabeshin

University

#25 Post by Nabeshin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Wow creepy. :shock: I'm sorry to hear that.

I can't remember exactly but in my case by the end final year there was at the most 25 left in the course.
On The Desperate Edge Of Now.

kodama
Project's Bitch

University

#26 Post by kodama » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:43 pm

I always thought one of the great joys of progressing through further and higher education was that the further you got, the less 'tards and slackers were left on the courses. :lol:

Enki
Kodama bit my bum

University

#27 Post by Enki » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:17 am

Haha! Too true! :lol: One of the problems with being on a University course is meeting lots of great people. Until half of which piss you off about being on a course they clearly don't care about whilst you passionately work on through others incompetence...

Believe me, it hurts more when you are on a film course and need people to dedicate them to filming schedules rather than constant hangovers. :roll: I mean that is all well and good, but keep it until after the film is in the can people!

Crucifer
sexXxholic
AC Username: crucifer

University

#28 Post by Crucifer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm starting in University in a month, Music and English, and college fees here are non existent, so the only expenses are registration, books, accommodation, food and alcohol!

:scratch:

kodama
Project's Bitch

University

#29 Post by kodama » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:17 pm

Hold on a minute, aren't you allergic or intolerant to the student staples?

Beer and pizza, Mmmm. Mind you , it's seems I might be too :cry:

fillet
Kodama bit my bum
AC Username: The Lashing

University

#30 Post by fillet » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:15 pm

I would have gone. Too much money though! I hope to rectify that in the future. Maybe check out a local college once I get settled into a house.